Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Lucern
Quintesson

Sunglass Man

Farmers cheer nearby. Murdering the cute little animals has rescued their major food supply.

I know lots of us have played Fallout 1 and 2, but has anyone else played Wasteland (1988)? I just completed it, and I really enjoyed it. The focus on skills (unknown to many games, but known to both Fallouts), the open-endedness, the post-apocalyptic setting, and the violent gnashing of so many innocent bystanders are shared by all three games, but somewhat pioneered by Wasteland. The Fallout games aren't official sequels for licensing reasons, but the similarities are everywhere.

It prompted me to play Fallout 1 and 2, starting with 1. It's been long enough that I won't remember much of either of them.

I'd recommend any of these to CRPG'ers who want a break from the fantasy norm (and Fallout 1 and 2 are some of the grittiest I've played to date), though I'd save Wasteland 'till you get that old-school RPG yearning that makes you break out old Gold-box games or Bards' Tales. The interface is less than desirable, but it really is a unique RPG. It's also been released for free download, ages ago. It works fine under XP if you turn off the infernal PC speaker. Well, it works if you leave it on, but you've been warned.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

I just discovered this at Underdogs myself. VERY unique leveling system, and very cool skills. I also liked the part in Highpool.

Very weird.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

That was freaky. Just plain weird.

I'll tell you two things I wish I had known, but it's a minor spoiler. Medic won't cure past a certain level. Doctor will. You can get it from Las Vegas right away since it's at the bottom right of the map. In and out, don't dally! 2) Always bring rope and explosives - you may just get stuck without them.

I'm halfway through Fallout 1 now, and I've noticed references everywhere to Wasteland. The most blatant: Apparently you can run into Angela Deth as a random encounter. Another reference is Tycho in Junktown, a self-proclaimed Desert Ranger.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

I renamed my characters, I couldn't stand those names.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

Me too...and remade them. Those weren't that good, though Thrasher could hold his own in melee.

Btw, love, absolutely love your sig! Hate that planet though

[ 07-02-2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

I loved Ortega. Name a better planet in SQ3, I DARE YA(Monolith Burger doesnt count)!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

Hey, I'd choose the cool underground caves of Kerona over it [img]smile.gif[/img]

So cozy and tentacled. The dripping purple liquid room is quite soothing...I think I'll make a screen saver out of it lol.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

See? You couldn't! You had to slink back to the depths of SQ1! Ortega is obviously supreme.

EDIT: YAY! 600th post!

[ 07-03-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Dalamar Stormcrow ]
Old 07-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Lucern
Quintesson

Haha...well I guess you have me. It DOES have pirates, after all.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Oh, yes, I played through Wasteland when it first came out. One of the best games ever produced, and that assessment includes modern games with their fancy graphics and user-friendly interfaces. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The one thing I would change would be to make it somehow possible to get at least one suit of pseudo-chitin armor before entering the Las Vegas sewers...but still a very worthwhile game.
I have an older CD with Wasteland on it. I just might even try it out again in the next couple of months just to reminesce. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote