Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2002, 02:29 AM   #1
knoj
Dungeon Master

i just bought the game today and I am about to install it. i found it for a measly 20 BUCKS at a shop in the mall of america, but they didn't have the expansion HoW. they said that it was recently taken out of circulation or something, and so i went to another shop there at the mall and they didn't have it either.

but anyway, i'll probably find somewhere eventually, so i guess my question would be...if it's worth it to download the latest patch or not? i'm asking this because sometimes patches will eliminate oportunities in the game (like weapons and stuff).

so would it be best to download the latest? or another version that doesn't take any tricks or secret items away??
knoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:54 AM   #2
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

There are others far more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of patching than I, but I would say definitely go ahead and patch. I always dl patches before I start playing...less 'bugs' and worry.

As for HoW...haven't heard it's out of circulation (doesn't make sense that it would be, really). I had a little difficulty finding it, (turned out not because it was out of print but so popular it sold off the shelf before I even saw it there!) so I ended up ordering it through our local Hastings Booksellers (online at www.gohasting.com or stores if you have one). Have you tried to order it thru any bookstores like Barnes & Nobles (do they do pc games?) It's there, you just have to find it before everyone else!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The IWD patch clears up some troublesome dialogue problems and corrects some item bugs but doesn't catch all of the them. The latest IWD patch is version 1.06.

AFAIK, the IWD patch doesn't remove any items. Some of the patches do alter the random item tables but I don't remember the IWD patches being among the patches that affect that. (could be wrong though).

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 06:02 AM   #4
knoj
Dungeon Master

yeh, i'll probably DL the latest patch (v.1.06), but like i said, i can remember back months ago when i was playing Diablo 2 and read on a forum that v1.07 was ok and so was 1.08, but not v1.09. simply because they decided to take away your ability to create certain unique items and stuff like that. but if guys haven't heard anything that would cause disapointment, then i'll go ahead and do it.

i'm up to the vale of shadows right now and so far i like the game alot. but why is there no feedback from regular NPCs when you select them?? i sort of liked the funny comments that commoners and the sort would say. is this at all an issue with anyone else?? is this fixed in a patch, or not??
Old 03-06-2002, 01:52 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

knoj,

HoW is IMO going to become very hard to get in retail stores for a while. For a few more details on this subject, take a look at the thread I started some time ago, "Heart Of Winter going out of print?" You should be able to find it around page 4 of this forum (unless someone posts a reply to it and moves it to page 1).
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
knoj
Dungeon Master

noblenick,
i read your thread on pg 4, and that's really unfortunate about interplay! i hope this doesn't mean that HoW is comepletly discontinued. but again i'm sure i'll find it eventually on ebay or some other auction/shopping site.

i'm confused though, isn't neverwinter nights (IWD2) coming out soon? i mean if they are able to continuely manufacture other BG related games why did they choose to stop with HoW? is it to watch their budget?

oh well, i won't loose too much sleep over it.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:17 PM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

Get the patch!!

But even when patches remove items, they balance the game, so it is worth it even if you do lose a good item....