Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 01:50 AM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I did not know I was entering the boss area, so my party entered with no buffs, and unaware of what to expect.

I thought, "Damn."

I did not reload however, because I wanted to see what the fight would be like. Fight starts, he casts Dispel Magic, but... there is nothing on my party to be dispelled except my Mage's stoneskins. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My party consisted of the following,

Paladin,
Fighter,
Fighter/Thief,
Fighter archer,
Mage,
Cleric.

My Cleric immediately began casting Recitation, while I sent the Paladin to one Iron Golem, the Fighter to one Iron Golem, and my F/T to Belhifet. My Archer whipped out some Arrows of Piercing and assisted in dealing with the Iron Golems.

The Iron Golems were not much of a problem, and they fell quick. My Cleric casted Prayer by this time also, and began passing potions to the tanks because she was the one with all the Potion Bags.

*sniggle* I can imagine her in real life, throwing potion bottles to the tanks. "Here! Catch!" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

My Mage meanwhile... er... er... gee... he did not do anything because everybody was 100% magic resistant... ...

The Heavenly Fires were a nuisance, and my tanks drank Potions of Fire Resistance during their melee scrum to reduce the damage. The Paladin's Lay on Hands was nice too, saving my F/T from death in the nick of time.

It was my Archer who dealt the death blow though. At 4 attacks per round, he was the fantasy verion of the Marine with a Vulcan Cannon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I completed IWD + HoW yesterday with a third party, and the only difference this time was that the boss fight included two more demons, but I knew what to do already, and smacked the boss back to the abyss where he belongs.

I created a fourth party and set the difficulty to Heart of Fury.

Paladin,
Fighter/Cleric,
Fighter/Druid,
Necromancer,
Thief/Illusionist,
Bard.

Heh, I am trying out the Bard and Druid class this time. Out of curiosity though, which one do you think is better? A Ranger/Cleric, or a Fighter/Cleric? I am focusing more on tank value between the two.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:37 AM   #12
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Dundee,

Are you planning on dualing them or multi-classing the ranger/cleric and fighter/cleric?

If dualing them, then the fighter/cleric is superior in tank value as you can pump up proficiency slots beyond 2 in certain weapons before the dual and then get them back after. (assuming you dual the fighter somewhere between 7th and 9th level).

If its Multi-class, you'll be stuck at two stars each in proficiency slots and in THAT case, since the TANK value is the same, I would take the ranger/cleric to have access to both Clerical AND Druid spells!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:00 PM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... but do multiclassed Ranger/Clerics have access to all the Druid spells? I had a Ranger/Cleric before, but it was frustrating because it took the Ranger side so long to level up, that my Fighter/Thief was a better tank. If Ranger/Clerics do not receive all the Druid spells, then I think I will stick to the Fighter/Cleric.

As for dualclassing, well, I am not a big fan of dualclassing. Heh. It is a personal thing.

PS: When I refer to dualclassed characters, I write them as such,

Fighter->Thief
Old 03-08-2002, 12:08 AM   #14
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No, ranger/clerics can only get up to 6th level druid spells and access to all clerical spells but that's still not too bad.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:20 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
No, ranger/clerics can only get up to 6th level druid spells and access to all clerical spells but that's still not too bad.

I see, so I only miss out on level 7 spells. Man, it is a b**** to level up the Ranger class though. Since I am playing HoF mode now though, I guess I will stick with the Ranger/Cleric then.

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:32 PM   #16
Lavindathar
Harper

One thing.

IWD2, is set 30yrs after the original. But your arch enemy from IWD1 is imprisoned for 100years, so you dnt fight him. Also, not being able to import supports this. Totally new stuff!!