Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Hmmmm... ...

I found the final boss fight... anti-climactic. Oh the setup was wonderfully done and everything was there for a memorable fight except for the actual combat itself... ... I fought on Core Difficulty, so I suppose I could increase the difficulty, but considering that this was my first completion of the game, and my second attempt( first attempt ended at the Severed Hand), I was expecting more difficulties from the final conflict. I mean... I had zippo knowledge of what to expect and I still managed to lay the smack down. Heck... I think my hardest fight in the game was when I had fight the Fire Giants with an average party level of 10.

I defeated the final boss with an average party level of 12 by the way. *Sniff* My Mage never got to use his level 7-9 spells, and my Cleric never got to use her level 7 spells.

On the bright side, credit to the IWD team for the ending which literally made my jaw drop. I so totally did not expect the narrator to be the enemy in the end. Heh, heh... ...

In other news... I need to know this... do Contingencies and Spell Triggers exist in IWD?!?! ARRGGGHHHH!!!! So many good area-of-effect spells that I cannot use them because they are not party friendly! It is a pain to cast one spell on one target one after another... sometimes I get the feeling I should just create pom-poms for my Mage... The most common combo I use is Greater Malison + Chaos, followed by liberal amounts of Magic Missiles. Effective to a degree yes... but there is no style! ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Chain Lightning? Oops... Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, cool but the splash effect is nasty to my party... Acid Sphere? Okay, this spell is actually usable as my party members usually have good saves against Polymorph... Burning Shroud? I still suffer the nightmare and remember how my Cleric caught fire while trying to heal those who caught fire... etc... ...

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Dundee,

Nowhere in IWD / HOW or TOL are spell triggers or contingencies available to player characters. Hostile NPC's may have them available as scripts but YOU can't get them. Sorry.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:03 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Dundee,
Nowhere in IWD / HOW or TOL are spell triggers or contingencies available to player characters. Hostile NPC's may have them available as scripts but YOU can't get them. Sorry.

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Screw it! My party can roast in Hell for all I care! My Necromancer( third party) is going to use all the juicy area of effect spells, party health be damned!
Old 02-27-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ROTFLMAO

F' em if they can't take a joke! fdl

So this necromancer must be chaotic????

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:20 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
ROTFLMAO
F' em if they can't take a joke! fdl
So this necromancer must be chaotic????

Chaotic Good.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:42 AM   #6
Eric Wong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So how did you fight the last battle?

I tried to disarm the traps but still cannot....

All my party members got whacked to hell
Eric Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:00 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

You can't disarm those traps. Use your thief to find them and then avoid them from that point on. Use potions of giant strength and speed to remove the "servants" and then spread your fighters out so that the main bad guy engages only one at a time. As he hops around, have the closest fighter hit him hard and fast while other use ranged attacks. Persistence is the key to victory.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 PM   #8
Eric Wong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Got it... managed to kill him after a few tries.... but after the end... I can't export my party out for HOW??? how much exp do i get from killing belhifet???
Eric Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #9
Midget Gems

Hi Dundee,
Got to agree with you, the combat in the final battle was not too tough. It took me several attempts to figure out the way passed the Crystal Sentries but then my party of 4 just walked into the final stage unprepared - just to see how hard it was - and was able to muddle through at the first attempt. Whenever the going gets tough, I like to call upon some helpers and the Fire Elemental I used in this fight performed like a hero.

Also agree that the Fire Giants were really hard - until I figured out how to avoid the fight in the doorway and got my party into a better position before initiating the combat. (More work here for the Fire Elemental). Like you I haven't had much chance to get to the really top spells, but there have still been one or two incidents of damage due to 'Friendly Fire'. Still there's always HOW and ICW2 to look forward to.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:31 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

The end boss was similar to BG1's I thought: just concentrate on the main baddy....

I went in, he dispelled straight away. Cloud Giant to my Ranger, Paladin and Fighter. They ran for the kill. Traps hit. Cleric went with, cast chant. Defensive Harmony too. Then Mage cast Haste. By this time, the Iron Golems got here.
Argggh...they are attacking my Mage. Stoneskin. Iron Golems out of the fight. Cleric cast that level 7 spike spell (cant remember its name).

Then he hit the deck.

1st time I beat him, but lost two characters. So i reloaded, beat him again (same tactics), didnt lose one.

And I thought that the narrator twist was one of the greatest twists I can remember in a game. Ok, so it doesn't alter the game much. But it sets it up for a sequal just too nicely..its perfect. It lets you know that the story was from his point of view, and it is accurate. It is accurate because it is him, criticising his mistakes after his 100yrs imprisonment...he is analysing himself..he isn't saying the heroes did well,,,,hes saying he didn't do well..and he'll be back.

So, IWD2 beckons...will it be the same enemy...I think so.