Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2001, 09:30 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Just started my game, spent about 2 to 3 hours patiently rolling stats for my party.

Took on the goblins beyond the bridge in Easthaven. Not much of a problem except that one hit from a goblin's arrow and my mage died, lol.

After getting used to being a superman in BG2, some *serious* attitude adjustment required here, lol.
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 10:07 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LOL!! Yep, Hayashi, a large part of the first couple of chapters is a grand ol' game of "protect the mage"! Then you get Fireball and the mage REALLY starts kicking in on his/her worth!

Hint: Let him or her hang out in the rear while you advance your fighters. Equip everyone with missile weapons and take out the goblins from afar. (Missles are MUST-HAVES in this game!)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 10:17 PM   #3
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

You're not kidding - it is *HARD*! But worth the fight. And by the way, you ain't seen nothing yet! Rave on brave adventurers and good luck to you.

------------------

I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 03:07 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

if you want your mages to live, get the 2nd level "mirror image" as soon as possible and memorize a ton of them. Blur is ok too, seeing as how it protects against missle attacks; but doesn't last very long at all.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:17 AM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Well, I finally cleared the cave with the orcs. No problem except for the ogre - 1 hit and my fighter that went toe-to-toe with it (paladin, 14 HPs) died. Ouch!!

I finally got him by casting sleep on the whole bunch then concentrating firepower on them one by one. When the ogre awoke he was alone, then it was time for the "fire-missile-weapons-while-retreating" trick.

I can see that missile weapons are going to be *very* important in the game, lol.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:13 PM   #6
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Way to go, Hay! Yep those missle weapons and spells and grand indeed. Happy to hear you are kicking some butt!
Mammaw
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 11:18 PM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks. I also want to say that (for now at least) turn undead is a BIG help. I'm at the vale of shadows and my cleric helps my party from getting swamped each time I enter a crypt.

Apart from the sheer numbers, nothing too difficult - yet.

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old 10-13-2001, 08:07 PM   #8
shawnme
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Give the mage a littel distence be hind your other cariters. send in the fiters in first than go to the mage and us sleep if you have it or ceep him safe away from all the action. have fun
shawnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 09:37 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Thanks. I also want to say that (for now at least) turn undead is a BIG help. I'm at the vale of shadows and my cleric helps my party from getting swamped each time I enter a crypt.

Apart from the sheer numbers, nothing too difficult - yet.

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-12-2001).]
You'll find that (Turn Undead) to be extremely useful in several points in this game. LOTS of undead...scads and scads of them! Only trouble is, while the cleric is turning, s/he can't do anything else except stand there (and is often a target).

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 06:09 AM   #10
crazy_diamond
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The game doesn't get that much easier. For the most part there is a very real chance that you can be killed around every corner. But if you want to kill large groups of enemies in a room in a dungeon, I have some useful advice(you may or may not have thought of this). First cast web at the entrance to the room, don't web your own characters! Next use a character with a Ring of Free Action to walk accross the web. When the enemies notice this character, lead them back accross the web. Once your character has reached minimal safe distance, launch a fireball at those stuck suckers and watch the good times roll. You have got love webs that don't melt.

------------------
You wore out your welcome with random precision.
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote