Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Sorry Variol, it's beyond me without copious googling which I can't do as I'm at work.

Have you tried plugging the .exe name shown in the first screenshot into google along with 'WMI' and seeing what comes up?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

It tells me to reinstall windows or run the upgrade instead. I did the upgrade up still have the problem.

Now I can't reinstall my video driver!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #13
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, it's shot now. By trying to re-install the driver I lost the windows display, so when it boots to windows the screen is blank. I can't even re-install windows now.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Now that shouldn't be the case unless the motherboard is fried.

Does the screen display when you first boot up? If so, go into your CMOS settings and make sure that you boot from your CD-ROM prior to the hard drive. Then pop in your Windows install CD and fire 'er up. You should be able to reinstall, and should be able to do a repair install or a complete reinstall. Try the repair first, and if it's still wonky, try the full reinstall.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

What about hitting the F8 key just before Windows starts loading? Select safe mode and it will load generic vesa display drivers, that should be enough to get you to a desktop if the blank screen is because of your video drivers.

I'm sure you can reinstall Windows incidentally - a software problem wouldn't normally prevent this. Have you tried and it's giving you an error message?

[ 05-23-2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 05-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I do get the screen at first and I can go into the CMOS. I'll check the settings. I can also hit F8 and run safe mode but I get an error message before I get to Windows. It says something about new hardware which I do not have.

I don't even see how I can start a new install from the CD. There seems to be no option for this. I did the repair thing and it didn't help my WMI error issue, which was recommended via google/ Microsoft.

I can't seem to get it to boot to the cd-rom. Evenually, from start up it goes to a blue screen which says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is first time... ...if not follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virues disk defrag. or backup utils. check HDD config. and check for updated drivers. run chkdsk /f to check for HDD cottuption and then restart computer. then there's a bunch of error codes. If I could get the c prompt I could try the chkdsk but I can't get it.

[ 05-23-2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

To install from the CD you need to look for something like 'Boot device order' or 'Boot priority' in the CMOS. You're in the right area. Often PgUp/PgDown will cycle the values.

You'll want to change any references to hard drives to make sure that CDROM is listed as being the first.

Then when you reboot you will see a "press any key to boot from the cd" message (or similar).

But to be honest, if you're having problems getting to the installer, then be wary about undertaking a Windows reinstall.

Have you got relevent driver CDs for anything important that won't work out of the box? Has all your important data been backed up?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I have all the drivers and there isn't very much I really need. I'm sure I'll loose my email addresses and internet favs.

I do have 2 HDD's so maybe I can install to the other one in case the original one is bad.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

You can easily back them up - also think about your emails - if you don't get your mail via IMAP (ie they stay on the server) then you may want to back them up too.

Installing on the second drive would be a good idea. In theory, as long as you don't format, a Windows reinstall won't delete your personal files. I'm 99% sure however that it warns you that some files are deleted and its remarkably vague about which ones, so plan for the worst.

Just to add a little more flexibility to your situation, you could use a linux livecd/dvd like Knoppix to copy your files to the second hard drive before you attempt any kind of repair/reinstall to Windows.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..trouble is I can't get to my files in order to back them up. Maybe some recovery software (Norton) might work?