Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 05:59 AM   #11
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Sauceman, I'm an economics student myself, and I'd be most happy to help you with anything you want to know. Feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to lend a hand. Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 06:10 AM   #12
Charlie
Lord Ao

I no longer use my PC for games. Gaming and having fun are non entities for me. I've got some games I can send you if you're stuck.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 05-24-2003, 06:34 AM   #13
andrewas
Harper

My father tried something similar on me a couple of times. BIOS passwords, since every game we owned was Warezed, no discs to steal. Of course, getting past a BIOS password is easy (screwdriver, J21, done) but it cant be done tracelessly, which got me in serious trouble at times.

I know what I would do in your situation, but most of it would just make things worse. Best thing I can recommend is to forget your remaining games (stands to reason they'll dissapear if your stepfather finds em), study as hard as it takes to get a better economics grade, and when you move out leave an itemised bill on the table. Theft is theft, whether the law says he is allowed to take them or no. But whatever you do, dont get angry (or at least dont act angry).
Old 05-24-2003, 06:39 AM   #14
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You know, I believe two boys in the Mernendez family had a similar dilemma a few years back Perhaps you should follow suit. What is your access to firearms like?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #15
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Hierophant:
You know, I believe two boys in the Mernendez family had a similar dilemma a few years back Perhaps you should follow suit. What is your access to firearms like? [/QUOTE

Where are they now then ? what sort of operating system do they use ? have they got the latest vice city yet?
Old 05-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #16
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

He throwed away your games!?! I can understand confiscating, but this...

Is your birth date really 05-31-1984? I don't know about the USA, but here in Canada, you would be considered an adult, and if so, he had no right to destroy your property.

If something like that had happened to me while I was a minor, it would have been WAR. I'm not going to give you stupid ideas, but he would never have gotten away with this.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:32 AM   #17
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

If you are in the last year of highschool, have decent grades (in general)and a job. Then I think you have proven yourself a person with a good sense of responsibility, capable of making your own judgements regarding your future. Judging by your story, your step father is setting a rather bad example for you with his thin arguments, his disrespect for your property and his rudeness. A bit of mutual respect is (IMHO) a very important aspect of every parent/child relationship. But then again, parents will be parents. Instead of being happy that you are not on drugs, not an alcoholic or skipping school, they start complaining about games It sounds like it's no use arguing with him, so just focus on graduating and hopefully things will work out. Good luck with your schoolwork, I'm sure you'll manage [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 08:44 AM   #18
MagiK

I think your Step Father would have been wrong if he really threw those CD's away. I also keep in mind that we only hear one side of the story here.

Im the father of 2 a boy and a girl. When I was a kid, in our house a D was considered failing and deserved punishment and a C was worth loss of priveledges. I expect B's from my kids so does my ex. In todays schools here in the US (I forgot to check where you were from) it is no major accomplishment to get a C and B's are pretty easy to get too.

Try to remember that the games are just things that you can easily replace when you move out and do without in theshort term. An education is something you can not do without.

Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #19
Kaltia
Jack Burton

When my parents tried to stop me from playing games and reading books, my grades dropped even lower. THAT stopped them. once, my dad stuck a password on my system and I went from a B to an E average, until he took it off, after which I rose to a C.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:38 AM   #20
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think that I would have to STRONGLY disagree with your sf's actions. As a sf myself, I would never go that far. I have grounded my step daughter from her computer, and right now her system is disabled, (we stole her surge protector, so she can't plug it in, not enough outlets!) but only because she was shirking her at home responsibilities to play on it. Once she gets herself out of trouble, we'll hook it back up. I would never do what he did. It makes step parents look bad. I want her to succeed, but not at the expense of the trust of the family unit. Her mother had made some real loser choices in the past, and I really want her to understand that I'm not one of those. An incident like that does not help build trust, but instead instills negative feelings, and the world is negative enough, everyone should be able to feel positive influence at home, no matter what. Also, I don't ground on grades, depending on the circumstance...If she just can't get a handle on it, no matter how much I try to help, then I don't think that it's her fault, but if she's not doing the work, (which is what parent teacher conferences are for) then she is grounded. I'm sorry about what happened, and do not agree with the extreme, and wonder, does he attend the parent teacher conferences, if you have them, or just complain about scores on your report card. I take off work for her conferences, so that I know what's going on before I start reacting to it.