Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

(I can't believe I'm actually asking this, but oh well...) How would I go about reinstalling MSN Messenger? When I try to log on it tells me, "We were unable to sign you into .NET Messenger Service, probably because of a problem with the service or your Internet connection. Please make sure that you are connected to the Internet." Obviously I am connected to the internet, and it can't be my connection because my friends have been able to get on and they use the same service as I do. If there's a way past this, please tell me. If not, please tell how I could go about reinstalling it seeing as how I cannot download it again and install it over the current one (yes, I tried that. No, I am not even halfway computer literate. I just don't want to try.)

Thanks,
Cody R. Lape
Old 02-09-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
Roxi
Manshoon

I had that very exact problem a month ago. So frustrating! It turned out there was an overload on messenger. Too many people using up space or whatever. Eventually I was able to get into it. This could be what is happening to you too, because what you're describing is the very same.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:25 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Seph, (I'm translating Dutch terms as I go along, some may be incorrect - I have a Dutch version of Windows)
click start, go to your configuration. Click the icon called Software. You will get a list of programs currently installed on your computer. Scroll until you find MSN Messenger, select it and click the Add/Delete button. You'll probably get an Uninstall Shield window or something, in any case, when it asks you if you want to delete MSN Messenger, confirm. Now it should be removed (you can manually remove the MSN Received Files folder where the program stores anything you downloaded through MSN - it's probably a folder in in My Documents)
Now, simply download it anew and install it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oh yes, like Roxi said, it doesn't have to be a problem with the installation (I know there were many people with log-in problems a while ago, and they were caused by MSN itself) but it never hurts to do a clean new install.
Hope it helps [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I think in english its "start -> configuration -> control panel -> add/remove programs"
Old 02-09-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
I think in english its "start -> configuration -> control panel -> add/remove programs"

JAVI!!!! Why are you only posting to this single message and not starting a topic called 'Hey Sarah I missed you'???

Well, I missed you in any case! Hope you're ok, dear, and hope everything's fine with Iratxe too. [img]smile.gif[/img] *hug*
Old 02-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

thanks Mel, one more question though: will i get to keep my buddy list? if not, i think i'll just go with what Roxi said and wait it out...

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: SSJ4Sephiroth ]

Old 02-09-2002, 11:42 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
thanks Mel, one more question though: will i get to keep my buddy list? if not, i think i'll just go with what Roxi said and wait it out...

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: SSJ4Sephiroth ]

Yes, it'll still be there if you use the same email address. At least it was when I did it, and I've installed/deinstalled quite a few times. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
Lord Shield

yeh. There was one time when everybody lost their buddy lists but that hasn't happened again since

Re-installing should keep the lists

Old 02-09-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
Roxi
Manshoon

Another thing, when I had that messenger problem it was on the weekend when most people use it! Don't know about you, but that's usually when I also have trouble getting online because of so many people.

What I'm wondering though, if I change from MSN to another provider, will I still get messenger and all my buddies? I don't know much about this kind of stuff.