Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 PM   #21
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hi Wendy, will they not give you a raise? And if not it sure sounds like your qualified to go elsewhere to make more $. I know you've been there a long time but......if your not having any fun and can make more well see whats out there. Thankfully I work with foul-mouthed louts,but we have fun. Its the only reason I can tolerate my shit-job lol. Just my bit of shitte advice.

Skywalker-$12/hour(up to $15) to start, and what are benefits? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Joking aside hope you find something up there
Old 11-05-2001, 07:34 PM   #22
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Hi Wendy, will they not give you a raise? And if not it sure sounds like your qualified to go elsewhere to make more $. I know you've been there a long time but......if your not having any fun and can make more well see whats out there. Thankfully I work with foul-mouthed louts,but we have fun. Its the only reason I can tolerate my shit-job lol. Just my bit of shitte advice.

Skywalker-$12/hour(up to $15) to start, and what are benefits? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Joking aside hope you find something up there

Yeah, I miss that Pauly, being around a lot of people every day. Been at this job for so long, I guess I'm probably apprehensive cause I haven't been on an interview in 12 years! Kinda stuck in a comfortable, yet BORING, rut I suppose. And I'm at the point now where I am using hindsight, and an overall view, and thinking I am wasting precious "life" time, if that makes sense. Trust me, one of these days I'll change it ALL out of nowhere!
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-05-2001, 08:14 PM   #23
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I hate to say it, but most of us seem to be rather pathetic. Think I'll go have a beer.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:18 PM   #24
Ladyzekke

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
I hate to say it, but most of us seem to be rather pathetic. Think I'll go have a beer.

LOL Sir Taliesin, sad lot aren't we? I think I'll join you at the bar!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-05-2001, 08:44 PM   #25
Gaelic
Elminster

My job is satasfactory. I more or less set my own schedule and have good flexibility as long as I hit my quotas. My job is just what I do to support the rest of my life.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:01 PM   #26
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, this is the way my work has been going:

1) We are now down to 1 functioning printer for all the student labs at the school (3) because the printer in Lab 2 (which services Labs 2 and 3) has a broken print server. So that leaves the Lab 1 printer, which now (wonder of wonders) is out of its laser toner cartridge. This is the printer which ALL faculty and students have to use. Guess what now? We're plumb out of toner cartriges. NO PRINTING--Period.

2) Half of the computers in each of the labs are non-functioning for one reason or another. Some of them have faulty network adapters, others have video cards that have gone on the fritz, some have gotten so old that they won't support the latest applications. We're talking Pentium 100's and 133's on some of these...out of date by at least 4 years. In my day Internet class alone, I have seven students, and five computers in the lab that can connect to the Internet (in 256 color, 640 x 480 max resolution). So for their exam tomorrow, I'm faced with having to put one student on the faculty computer in Lab 3 so they can take their test, and just pray that there is a computer available in Lab 2 so that I can squeeze another student in...or hope that someone doesn't show up for the test.

3) We are down to 9 faculty members (non-administrative), of which only 4 (of whom I am one) are full-time. At one time, we employed 22 day and night faculty. I am working a 42-hour week teaching schedule (that's actual hours IN the class, teaching, NOT grading, record keeping, and lesson plans) which is the equivalent of a 64-hour work week for a regular job. Max in-class hours for full time faculty in the State of Texas is 30 work hours. I'm 12 hours over, and the load is killing me.

What is the problem here, you may ask? LUBBOCK. At one time, our campus (in Denton) was autonomous, part of a larger group of schools that were all connected, but individually run. Since last year, Lubbock (the main campus) has taken back over management of all the campuses. The man who is in charge of all of the campuses (who I will not place his name up here because of legal reasons) is an anal-retentive, control-freak, penny-pinching jerk who makes everyone submit purchase orders through Lubbock for any item, no matter how important or trivial it is (I forgot to mention that we're out of staples, too, so I have to bring my OWN stapler from home and my own staples if my students are to have attached exams). All because this @$$hole has to PERSONALLY approve every little nit-picking thing from every campus, and then if it gets tended to three weeks later, we're lucky (our terms last for 6 weeks at a time, so you can imagine the problems this causes).

At one time, the Denton campus of IBS was the "model school": our students had better placement from graduation and we had great retention of students. They scored the highest on any of the certification exams we give. Now, that campus is a pathetic heartbreak. Students are leaving and not returning; morale is low, and even the faculty is talking about quitting. I'm looking for another job even as I'm teaching there. I told some of my colleagues today, "So when do we riot, or should we strike?"

And THAT is how my job is. Something that at one time was one of the most rewarding occupations I could have chosen has been turned into a cesspool. An absolute tragedy of mismanagement. I know why the "owner" doesn't come to see the campus. He knows he'll be lynched; strung up by us faculty as soon as he sets his penny-pinching @$$ on the premises.

So, I ask you. What should I do? WHAT DO I DO????

Regards,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-05-2001, 09:19 PM   #27
Ladyzekke

What should you do Saz? Well my answer would be to seek better opportunities. Your intelligence and perception could be used elsewhere in a better environment worthy of your excellence. Just my opinion

And hey, my co-worker refuses to use anything but Word Perfect 5.0 (1988 people!!!) control F8, Alt F10, Shift F6, ack! Me start fire soon with these wood sticks, squat down with me in the dirt. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps