Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 04:48 AM   #1
TheDutkanator

If you can't find at least 1 cool thing about your job, QUIT!

I LOVE my job. I don't get paid very much ($8.50/hour), but I don't do very much either. In fact, almost ALL of my (near) 400 posts were done from work. Hey, I'm at work now. I get paid to play video games and go on the net.

Ok, Ok. I'm the Senior Night Auditor at the Country Inn & Suites in Forest Lake, MN. What does that mean? I stay up all night (11pm-7am Sun-Thurs) and do whatever I want. I have to do a little bit of laundry and about 20 min. worth of paperwork. In the morning I set up the continental breakfast. Overall, I work about 2 hours each night and play for 6. Gotta love that!

I must admit though, I won't be doing it forever. I want to start college a.s.a.p., but I need to get scholarships, grants, etc. 1st because I only make 8.50 and I have 2 kids and a wife to support.

So, what do you like about your job?

Nicolai Dutka
Game Developer
Archon Games (My Company)
My Website
My YouTube Channel
Old 11-05-2001, 05:30 AM   #2
Epona
Zartan

Hi Dutkanator! You've been busy - lots of your threads on the top page!

I don't like my job much - I find it boring. The good thing I can think of is that working for a large government department I can move areas every 2 years if I want to - so the boredom is broken up with learning something new every once in a while.
Other than that, the pay is bad, promotion opportunities are dreadful, the work is boring and no-one ever says thank you.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:56 AM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I love my "job". I can go to a lot of different countries, compete with the best in the world, and legally hurt people . The best part though, is that i made my hobby into my "job". I was doing this and was having fun and didn't got a single penny for it. But after awhile i got lucky and now i get a little bit (not that much just enough) money.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:40 AM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Don't have one at the moment, but I hope I'll know if I will have one soon, today!

I'm having a very worrisome morning.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:06 AM   #5
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't love my job... it's boring... and it's tiresome...
Old 11-05-2001, 09:02 AM   #6
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

I love my job. I have excellent pay for the four or five hours a day I put in. (It helps to be the boss)
Old 11-05-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I really like my job, but I guess I try to be professional about it; if you enjoy your job you'll want to get better and better at it and learn more and more. I work for Unilever in category management. Sometimes I work up to 70+ hours a week and sometimes the politics etc are a real bitch but it's such a buzz putting the effort in and seeing the results come through. Plus you meet some really good people (and some really bad ones, unfortunately).

Old 11-05-2001, 09:25 AM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Personally, I'm going through some what of a mid-life crisis with my job. I am beginning to hate it. The one cool thing about my job is the people (and Boss) I work with. The bad thing about it is I can't afford to quit, with car and house payments and two kids. I make too much money to walk away from it. If I could I'd go to work for my dad's company, but my salary would be cut in half with no benefits(he's a one man company; just him self). Oh well, that's just life. I will troop on.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:32 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Personally, I'm going through some what of a mid-life crisis with my job. I am beginning to hate it. The one cool thing about my job is the people (and Boss) I work with. The bad thing about it is I can't afford to quit, with car and house payments and two kids. I make too much money to walk away from it. If I could I'd go to work for my dad's company, but my salary would be cut in half with no benefits(he's a one man company; just him self). Oh well, that's just life. I will troop on.

Well the beginning sounds alot like my situation. I feel very boored and creatively drained from my work. Though I have a job and an income, which Iīm fortunate for. It is in the area of what I like to do, but we are so in the hands of the customer that the creative part is more or less a free-fire-kill zone :S

Unfortunatley I canīt just change the job and I donīt know if there is any other job I could apply for with the skills and knowledge that I have..

It is far from my dreamwork, but the people I work with makes it bearable at least. Though a nice raise would do alot to enlighten my position..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 11-05-2001, 09:41 AM   #10
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I really like my job..working in a "building-mall", kinda...can't really translate it to english [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's much better than flipping burgars in the most boring town in the world (Forshaga :1puke: )
Try doing that for three years, and you'll end up LOVING your current job....trust me on this one

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Sir ReGiN ]