Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2001, 09:35 PM   #11
turbovee
Elminster

Insect plague works if you can lower his magic resistance. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that. I thought that since it was mentioned previously I didn't want to steal someone else's thunder.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:39 PM   #12
turbovee
Elminster

Sorry, forgot about the whole of the question. Wing buffet is a physical attack and insect plague only keeps him from casting magic.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:53 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

OK, thanks. Does anyone know if there is any defense you can use against Wind Buffet?
Old 01-28-2001, 09:55 PM   #14
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Nope, nothing, anyone (anything) will be blown away.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:58 PM   #15
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

That's one reason why it might be a good idea to have Anomen and Jaheria stay in the middle between the frontliners and the mages. Should the frontline tanks get "blown away", the dragon will still have to get through two characters (who can fight) before reaching your mages.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:06 PM   #16
Charlie
Lord Ao

As I recall the majority of his attacks were magical. If you can prevent him casting via silence or insect plague (top spell, particularly against multiple enemies) you're half way home. It also prevents him turning your guys against one another and having fighting in the ranks. This affords you the opportunity to heal after his physical attacks. If he wastes a round on a defunct spell attack he has to wait to try to hit you with a physical one...chances are he'll try more magic, but at least you've got a breather in which to heal up.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:08 PM   #17
turbovee
Elminster

That's exactly why I have him turn around. Because he can waste all that energy on summoned dragon fodder. Works for all the those dirty overgrown reptile bastards
Old 01-28-2001, 10:25 PM   #18
Charlie
Lord Ao

LOL
Old 01-28-2001, 11:05 PM   #19
Magness
Quintesson

Regarding wing buffet ...

While there isn't a true "defense", there is a good tactic for reducing its impact on your party.

This tactic assumes that a party only attacks Big Red from surprise while you're invisible ...

Have your melee fighters (and summoned monsters) surround Big Red. Have your spell casters spread themselves widely apart.

Wing Buffet is a directional attack. Big Red will only be able to wing buffet only a portion of your party at a time if they're properly spread out.

Aside from all the obvious melee advantages of a hasted party, your hasted characters will be able to run back to Fiirkraag that much faster while hasted. (Duh, of course...) Don't forget to cast your Haste and protection spells AFTER summoning your monster allies!!! Don't they deserve to be hasted and protected as well??

Make certain that you have plenty of breech spells ready. The moment you see Fiirkraag cast a stoneskin ... take it down IMMEDIATELY!!!
Old 01-28-2001, 11:06 PM   #20
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

OH YEAH OH YEAH, Victory Dance! I remember when I first came onto this board in November, my first question was how to defeat Firkraag. Everyone seemed to think I needed more experience first and they were right. Now 2 Months later and I finally got his ass! Thanks guys! Couldn't have done it without you all! I used the fire elemental AND Wizard Eye distraction approach. No doubt with Firkraag turned around I had a considerable advantage! Feeling very triumphant now (I think I woke up the neighbors!)! Thanks, you guys are the greatest!