Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 12:17 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, I'm starting to think I MAY need one for emergencies on the road, etc.....but I'd like to hear your thoughts on them. I absolutely hate it when someone sits in a theater blabbing on the phone or holds up a line in a bank while they take a call and I've begun to feel the darned things are just invasive, in general, but they do have their uses, I guess!

Tell me the good and bad about having one, if you own one and can those of you in the USA tell me how your plans work and if you've had any especially good service from a company or particularly bad service? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

They have their uses for people who have a use for them. People that absolutely need to be reachable at almost every moment like doctors, nurses, firemen, etc. I can also see company exec having a need for them. They question you should ask yourself is this 'Am i going to use this thing frequently and am i going to use it just to chit-chat a lot'. If it's the second then in the case of an emergency you can probably still find a phone booth or another quick solution and if you don't have an emergency on hand, you can probably wait till you get home to make the call. I don't own one and my friends and especially my coach gets annoyed by it. He can call all the others for a non scheduled training but he can't get a hold of me .
Old 02-18-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I have one, the main reason being because my family is four thousand miles away and they need to be able to reach me sometimes. Also, I just find a cell phone really handy when you live in a sociable kind of environment (as I do, at college). I don't chit-chat on it a lot, I mainly use it for emergencies, but either way, it's a reassuring thought to know that anyone in your life is just a call away. I have a pre-paid package, so I know exactly what I'm spending on my minutes, and I can never go over the top, which is, again, a nice thought. I have one of those horribly tiny cell phones where you can hardly see what's happening on the screen, but I purposely wanted a small one, because I know that if I have a big phone, I just won't take it with me because it'll weigh down my pants and dig into my hip. So I'd really advise a pocketable one that won't encumber you, with a pre-paid package to avoid nasty surprises in the form of phone bills at the end of the month [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-18-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 AM   #4
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

[img]smile.gif[/img] Of course I don´t mean to improvise anything evil with this, but it surprises me how the States is years behind Europe with cell phones. At least in my country cell phones have been just as common as regular phones for ages. For example, my family has owned a cell phone for 7-8 years now. From 15-30 year people maybe one from ten doesn´t own one... cell phone technology has walked hand in hand with computers around here. Maybe its because Nokia is finnish and they sort of test the models with us.

If you are difficult to reach and feel the need to talk people more often, then yes yes, cell phone is good idea. Prices are getting cheaper every day.

And size is indeed important. If it weights more than 120g it´s really unpractical and a nuisance to carry along. Though I must say that the newest models tend to be too small in size.. some even as short as your finger. Boo says that is too tiny for us with large hands..

[ 02-18-2003, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 02-18-2003, 01:35 AM   #5
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Funny you should mention that actually, Niceworg. My cell phone is exactly the length of my index finger (4 inches).

[ 02-18-2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 02-18-2003, 01:49 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I have a friend who own one, and everyone keep calling him all the time. It get really anoying. No mather where he is, or what he is doing, he keep getting calls all the time. People have no respect, once they know they can reach you all the time, they'll keep calling for no reasons.

It's hard having a discussion with someone, when every 15-20 mins, he get a call.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:50 AM   #7
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I have one and so does my wife. Just use them for important situations and not just yacking all the time. IMO they're better to have and not need, than to need and not have. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 AM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:
I have one and so does my wife. Just use them for important situations and not just yacking all the time. IMO they're better to have and not need, than to need and not have. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Exactly! Well said.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:46 AM   #9
Draconia

Hi Cloudy! I know how annoying ppl can be with cell phones and how annoying they can be when you have one. I have one and where I live it's a good thing. (the closest town to me is 60 miles away so I have to travel far) I only have my cell phone with me when I leave the house to go out of town. I hardly turn it on. I figure if I need to call then I will turn it on and if someone needs to contact me, they can call my house and leave a message. My hubby gets really annoyed because I don't turn my phone on but I will call him and let him know where I am at and that everything is ok. That's what makes it nice, he don't worry as much when I let him know that I am fine and I am on my way home. Using it that way might work best for you and you won't get so annoyed with the darn little thing always ringing.
There are so many plans that you can choose from and most of the time they can help you decide which plan is the best for you. Just shop around, they will give you copies of their plans and you can compare. There are alot of great deals out there.
Good luck and I hope that I was able to help out a little. BTW, everyone is use to me not having my phone all the time so they don't try calling me on it anymore.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:42 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

I've got a mobile phone, but everyone here in Holland has one. I have it because currently I haven't got a normal telephone in my room (I'm not living with my parents due to study). It's a Samsung A800, and I'm really glad with it. By having it my parents and friends and rowing coaches can contact me wherever I am.

Goal: Beijing 2008