Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
dale
Manshoon

What do people think?

I have a bard/rogue that now has PP skill in the 90's while wearing her two filcher's bracelets. I don't think I have ever gotten anything really worth while or "WOW" by PP.

Does there come a time when I might appreciate the effort put into training her and the skill points invested in the skill?
Old 02-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hi dale!

I was really happy about the ability to pickpocket lots of spellbooks. The ones I picked were often better than the ones I could buy... Also, I got some very good weapons I'd never had gotten without pickpocketing, and it allowed me to turn in the Umpani Traitor very soon. So I'd say it's worth it, but if you are not so focused on spellcasters as I am, then you might not find it THAT valuable...

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 02-28-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Nordoki
Dungeon Master

Fasinating. I only had one character who had pickpocket and if I could get him to succeed it would only be once per NPC and would gain garbage. As a result I have given up on that skill with other party groupings.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Nordoki ]

Old 02-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
Professor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have gained access to many things that would be otherwise hard to find (weapons, spell books, restoration potions, and the like).

Even if you get garbage, you can sell it (avoid selling the rarer items back to the NPC from whom you stole them).

My party's AC, buff-ability, and combat skills were all enhanced by the pickpocket skill.

Mind you, I have applied no patches. I understand that the patches make pilfering more difficult.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:45 PM   #5
ratchild
Manshoon

Pickpocketing is invaluable. It gives you access to several items in Arnika that make it worth the initial 25 points alone. I've had great success in several games on Antone alone, with the quality of items. Mantis boots and gloves, faust halber, enchanted wakizashi... everyone else also has nice items as well. of course, this would be before patches. patches = bad. =)
Old 02-28-2002, 04:09 PM   #6
Solomon
The Magister

On the patched version, I've found pickpocketing to be too much trouble to bother with. I've never gotten anything I couldn't buy and get caught by everybody sooner or later (usually sooner).

I don't even spend points on it now.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:48 PM   #7
Mage_77
Manshoon

With the patch your less likely to get better items. Un-patched you can PP everythign they have a chance to drop if you killed that npc. The benifit to PP though is that "some" npc's have items that you might want (key's for example) that you would have to otherwise ruin a faction you may not want to ruin to get the item. Rapax Constable for key to wall safe is a good example.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:52 PM   #8
Solomon
The Magister

Sliding a little further off the topic, if you can't PP the key, you can kill the constable without affecting your rating. Apparently he's not too popular in the castle...
Old 02-28-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Have to agree...picking pockets and shoplifting are best in the unpatched game. Pretty much a thief's paradise. Every NPC has at least one very good item, sometimes two. Getting them in the patched game is just about impossible, and the skill is worthless there.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:26 PM   #10
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by dale:
Does there come a time when I might appreciate the effort put into training her and the skill points invested in the skill?

I doubt it. IMO pickpocket only gives you that initial gain in cash and lets you have nice items earlier. After a certain (fairly early) point, it hardly matters. If you don't think it's worth it at your stage in the game, I can't imagine what will change that view. Personally, I put it in the same class as scouting: I don't think it's worth putting ANY level-up points into.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Nix ]

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote