Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

The big rats in the Rattkin tree keep wiping me out. I get one, but I'm too weak then to get the second. Any help?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
Annheiser
Manshoon

Here's my tactic:

I was Level 9 when I took them on. Party consisted of Fighter, Bishop, Bard, Ranger, Samurai, and Lord with Vi, and Sparkle as RPCs.

Buff everyone up with your fundamentals (Missile Shield, Armorplate, Enchanted Plate, so on) and strafe-walk your way to the door. Don't stand in front of the door and open it to agro immediately. Open it so they can't see you, then inch your way until the first Breeder is in sight. The way the room is set up, there is one breeder by the door, the other right behind it, and the Archers to the right of the door.

Once the combat begins, Haste, and throw Insanity and Siren's Wail (if you have a bard) at the Breeder group. Since you're close by the door, the Breeder will stop at the door to attack, blocking anyone else to come through. Just keep piling on the Insanity spells if it wears off, and throw some Blinds on them as well. Forget about offensive damaging spells as they're pretty useless against them. After the breeders are dead, go in and waste them archers.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:06 PM   #3
Mage_77
Manshoon

Can also try dust of defections (turncoat effect) Using that on a breeder it turns and wipes out the others for you. Insanity is also a good method but then it may sometimes turn and attack you even when insanity'd.

Another method is to put "1 tank type up front on defend". Keep him buffed with Guardian Angel if you have it and keep him healed. Let your other chars take the breeders down with ranged attacks while your tank holds em off.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:05 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Exact tactics vary a bit depending on party composition. However, the following are helpful:

Haste - usually from a potion, but can be done also with spell or scroll.

Insanity - a must! I always go for the archers with this on the first round.

Superman - Good for the front line.

Noxious Fumes - My second favorite early disabling spell.

Blinding Flash - If the situation is becoming desperate, this can take the heat off for a little while.

Also, if you've been lucky enough to find some mystic arrows and/or medusa stones, this is a good time to equip them.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:48 AM   #5
Nix
The Magister

May I also suggest that you think about whether you are strong enough to fight your way out of the Ratkin Tree after you've killed the breeders and the other ratkins turn hostile. Maybe I was just unlucky with the spawning of mobs, but I found getting out of the area a heck of a lot bloodier than facing the breeders. Kept running into hordes of the pests, who were incredibly fast and accurate fighters, with poison attacks to boot. Took me many tries/reloads to get out alive [img]smile.gif[/img]
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:34 AM   #6
Annheiser
Manshoon

Oh yeah, once you off the Breeders you're now Hostile to the Rattkins, except for Milano and the Don. There's a chance you will encounter the Rattkin Patrol from one of the shacks making their way to you. 4 Patrols and 4 Archers I think. In two games, they appeared once, and the other time they didn't. Make sure you just rest before you leave the shack with the Breeders. If you do meet them, same tactic. Insanity and Siren's Wail galore.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:10 AM   #7
ratchild
Manshoon

As for making your way out after killing the breeders, once i found something like 20 ratts... and about half were goons, several archers and several patrols... the goons are the toughest SOBs... 3 attacks at least per round.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Gosh! When I saw the title of this thread, I thought I was in General Discussions!

At first I thought this was going to be a political rant about hating Edwin Meese, former U.S. Attorney General for ex-President Ronald Reagan’s administration.

Oh well, my mistake!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
Rhea
Drow Warrior

I used Siren's Wail on the archers and freeze flesh on the breeders. While the archers were going at each other, I picked off the breeders at my leisure. Then I made the mistake of resting and had to deal with the Rattkin patrol - but they were small cakes after the Breeders and only came through the doorway a few at a time.

I use some form of Pandemonium or Insanity in every battle. It's just soooo much fun watching your enemies hack each other to pieces, foam at the mouth and generally make fools of themselves. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:00 PM   #10
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

My tactic for the Breeders...

Open the door and stand there. Do not advance in.

The breeders are big enough that:

1. They can't both whack you, only one at a time.

2. If they get blinded, they can't escape (they will just run to the end of the room).

After you hack one down, hack the second.

If they are blinded, pluck away with arrows and any spells you have that deal damage, or potions/bags that can deal damage.

Do this till they're both dead.

Then go inside the room.

Save.

Shut the door.

And camp until magic and health is restored.

Then fight your way out.