Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

...but why?

I've had a look through a couple of alchemy FAQ's, so I understand the mechanics of it all.

I was wondering if any alchemical wizards out there had some more general tips.

What would be the best way for a fledgling mage with an alchemy score of ~35 to set about learning this skill?

I noticed someone made a living selling potions - are there particular types that sell better than others?

Any general tips? [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Alchemy was one of my major skills, so i picked up every flower, plant and whatnot i ran into on my quests, with only one purpose....making money. I didn't even care what sort of potion i was creating, as long as it brought in some cash. I reached level 100 in Alchemy faster than any other skills, and that, next to making cash, is what mattered to me most.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
What would be the best way for a fledgling mage with an alchemy score of ~35 to set about learning this skill?
Make potions.

Make potions.

And then...

make some more potions.

Quote:
I noticed someone made a living selling potions - are there particular types that sell better than others?
No, the cost of the potions, at least the ones you make yourself, is dependent on the quality of the potion rather than on the type(s) of effects. The quality, and thus the cost, will go up when your skill in alchemy goes up.

Quote:
Any general tips? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeah. Make potions. [img]smile.gif[/img]
That is, after all, the only thing you can do with this skill.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Thank-you both. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm making some cash now, but have noticed that there appears to be no difference between ingredients that are vastly superior to others? Is this correct? A non-real example, assuming they both had the same effect: adding a daedra heart instead of bread doesn't seem to increase the magnitude of the effect.

This seems a bit wrong?

Also I can't see any benefit to adding a third ingredient to a potion? Even when the effect is complementary to the existing two, the magnitude doesn't increase. And it doesn't even always add a second effect to the potion - can anyone explain the logic behind this?

I'm really kicking myself for putting alchemy as a major skill though Doh, doh!

[ 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
I've found you can get slightly better prices if you use potions with several good effects.
For example at 25+ Alchemy:
Bread Loaf, Orange, Tomato all have Restore Fatigue and Detect Life as usable effects. So if any two of those are combined you'll get a potion with two good effects, and this potion will sell for more then a regular restore fatigue potion would.

Quote:
Also I can't see any benefit to adding a third ingredient to a potion? Even when the effect is complementary to the existing two, the magnitude doesn't increase. And it doesn't even always add a second effect to the potion - can anyone explain the logic behind this?
If done correctly adding a third ingredient can let you make potions with lots of effects. If a potion is going to have an effect it needs atleast two ingredients with that effect avaible.

[ 05-03-2006, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Or, to raise your skill, eat everything you come across. Got my alchemy to 100 double quick.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrvias:
Or, to raise your skill, eat everything you come across. Got my alchemy to 100 double quick.
That is if it doesn't kill you first. LOL be careful what you eat some things will mess you up and lower your health enough that, should get in a fight you may end up dead faster than normal.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
I'm making some cash now, but have noticed that there appears to be no difference between ingredients that are vastly superior to others? Is this correct? A non-real example, assuming they both had the same effect: adding a daedra heart instead of bread doesn't seem to increase the magnitude of the effect.

This seems a bit wrong?
Ya, i agree. The value of the ingredients has no effect on the final value of the potion. At lower levels you are actually better off selling some of the raw ingredients than turning them into potions.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #9
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Alchemy makes seemingly impossible fights very doable...no spoilers, but let's just say that Nightshade grows pretty close to a certain tough fight...and that 100 I've got in alchemy sure paid off nicely, there.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote