Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2002, 09:42 AM   #1
andrewas
Harper

I got my hands on NWN the other day - cant afford it yet, and the store guards were in the area so other means were out - but I was wondering how NWN respons to a lower speced machine. Like mine:

AMD k6-2 450
128Mb RAM
Voodoo Banshee 16mb
win98
56K modem

Note the strong similarity to the quoted min specs.

Now I want to play this game online at some stage, but I know Ill get crap performance through my modem. The drivers are out of date, no-one knows what it is, there is no way this modem is *ever* going to give acceptable performace.

The rest of it I dont know about. Has anyone attempted to run NWN on a machine this decrepit, and if so did it run OK or was it unplayable? (I dont care if it looks like it was made in the mid-80's I need framerate here not eye-candy).
Old 06-29-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Boy, I tried on a PIII 866 with 128 of RAM and an on-board video card when I first got the game and it was no go. But, I added RAM and a new video card, and it's playing for me, now.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I had to dump my Diamond Viper II video card (made before the days of Nvidia). Game chopped so bad and the mouse curser would blink constantly and disappear, was impossible to play the game. Bought a GeForce4 MX 420 64MB AGP, now the game works just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:37 AM   #4
Zidane
Manshoon

Hiya

I got my NWN yesterday and have been tinkering and downloading bloody drivers to try and get my GeForce 2 MX400 to work with Windows XP.

I have an Intel Celeron 1.1 mhz, 256mb RAM, 1GB Motherboard, SoundBlaster Card and my GeForce 2 MX400 64MB, 256 cache, 40GB HD, 54 speed CD-ROM and I am STILL having trouble. I am posting while I am waiting for my latest drivers to download and then I don't know if the bloody thing will work. Ack

I have ordered another 256MB RAM, should come next week, that better help.

I managed to get in temporarily last night to create my character but she sort of walked in jerky choppy movements, so I gave up and now this afternoon I get a black screen again after the credits. I am soooo frustrated.

Anyone got any clue, cos I am really new to PCs, I know I am sad but I have also ordered NWN for my Mac, which I have been reliably told will be with me in a couple of months, complete with editor.

Seeya

Lady Zidane
Old 06-29-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

@zidane - havent a clue really, but one thing is that Infinity always used opengl instead of directx. If Aurora is the same you might have some luck with www.glsetup.com .

@The rest - thank you. Now I need to find a couple hundred for a complete upgrade - plus my monitor is about to blow up judging by the flickering. Guess i'll see you all online, sometime in 2003.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:35 PM   #6
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zidane:
I have ordered another 256MB RAM, should come next week, that better help.
Now that is really weird, I am expecting NWN to work on a comp with 128mb of RAM. Like it says it should on the box.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 02:48 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Think NWN is using Direct X. I'm running 1024 by 768 with 64mb textures and antialiasing at 2x and the game runs slicker than pig snot.
Zidane, your machine should be able to handle the game, but not a high resolutions and detail settings. Start by using the lowest possible settings with maybe the 16MB texture pack and try working up from there until it starts to slow down.
The problem is most likely the GF2MX can't handle all the textures your trying to push at it. Make sure that you have AGP Fast Writes Enabled in your computer BIOS.
I'm not real familiar with the Celery, but if memory serves it's running on a 100MHZ FSB, so make sure your memory is running at the speed as well.
XP is quite the resource hog, so you may find that the extra ram will help, but like I said it's most likely the video card.
One final thought, download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard as well as they handle your AGP (video card) bus. Good Luck everyone. It's an awesome game.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:09 PM   #8
Doobie
Welcomed New User

andrewas, NWN does not support 3dfx based cards (voodoo) since they went out of business a few years back. I've heard of unofficial drivers that enable the voodoo cards to play nwn, but only the more recent voodoo cards(v4 and v5 come into mind). I had a voodoo 3 just a week ago and bought a geforce 2 mx400 just so i could run this thing.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 03:31 PM   #9
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

You will not be able to run the game on the specs you quoted. The recommended specs are crap, and you should really get at least a 1.6 with 512 ram in order to play the game with ease.

I am using a 2.2 with 1 gig ram and a fairly decent graphics card and have had no problems at all running the game, even with everything turned on for high detail in the graphic department...

The sad thing about many of today's games is that you need to have a high end rig in order to fully enjoy the gameplay without crashes and low fps...
Old 06-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #10
Deathcow
Elminster

you MIGHT be able to play on that system, but expect it to be choppy, and you should probably get a new vid card. maybe a geforce2 32mb, it should be relatively cheap

however, that no money thing might be a problem...
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote