Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Here's the link.

I want to know whether I left out anything, or whether I should modify anything.

I will be modifying my Dragon Tips website over the weekend, because I think it is too biase towards magic. I will try to give more tips on physical combat against Dragons. So feel free to voice out what you wish to see on the Dragon Tips website.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:28 PM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

Very nice guide Dundee, I'm sure your work will be appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]

A few points. Do you mean Daystar instead of the Sword of Flame (+4 THAC0 vs evil?). The Sword of Flame is only +1.

The mace of disruption+1 strikes as a +3 weapon to all creatures. When upgraded this enchantment is increased to +5, and can therefore hit anything requiring this enchantment, not only undead.

To add to your list is the Longsword Flame Tongue since it strikes as a +4 weapon.

Finally, I found that Minsc's beserk failed to give him immunity to imprisionment. Maybe this has been addressed with a patch, or maybe it was never meant to protect him, I'm not 100% sure.

[EDITS]: Oh, and the Halberd Wave+4 will work too.....
A few very minor corrections; Beserkers cannot re-enrage after enraging because of the fatigue period, and IIRC, minsc only has 1 beserk ability.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]

Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Very nice guide Dundee, I'm sure your work will be appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.

A few points. Do you mean Daystar instead of the Sword of Flame (+4 THAC0 vs evil?). The Sword of Flame is only +1.

Doh, yes you are right, I got mixed up, but I was doing it from memory, so I was not sure at that time.

The mace of disruption+1 strikes as a +3 weapon to all creatures. When upgraded this enchantment is increased to +5, and can therefore hit anything requiring this enchantment, not only undead.

Actually, the MoD can still hit Kangaxx the Demi-Lich even if it is not upgraded yet. It is because of the bonuses granted against Undead for it.

To add to your list is the Longsword Flame Tongue since it strikes as a +4 weapon.

This was the sword that was bugging me, because I could not remember. Thanks.

Finally, I found that Minsc's beserk failed to give him immunity to imprisionment. Maybe this has been addressed with a patch, or maybe it was never meant to protect him, I'm not 100% sure.

Last I recall, Balderdash has a fix that retifies this, but I cannot remember.

[EDITS]: Oh, and the Halberd Wave+4 will work too.....
A few very minor corrections; Beserkers cannot re-enrage after enraging because of the fatigue period, and IIRC, minsc only has 1 beserk ability.

Got it. The website should be updated by the time you read this. On a side note though, are you positive that Berserkers cannot re-rage immediately?
Old 03-01-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
PeeWee
Manshoon

Nice job indeed.

If you could do the same for dragon fights as you did for Gaxx, it would be a great update. I'll ask questions as I'm sure many others would too and you decide if it warrants more of your time.
First,

How many dragons are there to fight?
Are they all bad?
Are there consequences to fighten each one?
Do they all have the same buffs and attacks?
Can the same tactic work on all dragons?

Are dragons immune to +2 weapons and lower?
My regular weapons don't hit the dragon, now what?
What weapons work on dragons?
How can you knock down dragon buffs fast enough?
Can the Gesen bow be used?
What about other bows with arrows of piercing and biting or regular arrows?
what about crossbows and darts?

What if my party is lvl 9-10 and we only have one mage? Can we beat him without cheesing?
What's a decent level to encounter your first dragon?

I have a full melee party, I want to suprise attack the dragon, but he seems to not get hostile when I hit him, do I have to initiate dialogue when I have no spell casters?

I'm sure if we can think up the usual questions, it would be alot easier to answer them before asked. I don't know how much time you intend to spend on each dragon, but that's a work load for ya.

A few posters did want to use archers too. Might want to throw in possible routes one might take. There are two possible encounters in chapter 2. Some can bypass these if they want to hit the underdark quickly. Are there dragons after this they may encounter prematurely too? Info on that may be good also.

Great work again.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:31 AM   #5
PeeWee
Manshoon

Oh and since you're a vault of helpful information, you ever thought about posting up a FAQ? That could surely help alot of ppl here too.

Or I wonder if Memnoch could post a sticky FAQ here. Stuff pertaining to cheating of course, gaxx, dragons, a few weapon choices, ac, saves, str and how it helps thaco and dmg, dex and how it helps, races - good /bad attributes/penalties, and just about anything else a newbie would want to know.

If Memnoch could post a FAQ, maybe your links could be added to it to make it simpler. Of course, I bet a few ppl will overlook the obvious help, but just another thought.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:42 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PeeWee:
Oh and since you're a vault of helpful information, you ever thought about posting up a FAQ? That could surely help alot of ppl here too.

The actual reason why I created these sites is because they are frequently asked and I am tired of typing out the same stuff over and over again. So now, I can just link to them, saving me a lot of time, and besides, since it is a static webpage, I can be more informative.

Or I wonder if Memnoch could post a sticky FAQ here. Stuff pertaining to cheating of course, gaxx, dragons, a few weapon choices, ac, saves, str and how it helps thaco and dmg, dex and how it helps, races - good /bad attributes/penalties, and just about anything else a newbie would want to know.
If Memnoch could post a FAQ, maybe your links could be added to it to make it simpler. Of course, I bet a few ppl will overlook the obvious help, but just another thought.

Such an idea has been proposed before, but as Ziroc once said, it would defeat the purpose of the forum, which is to interact with people. Besides... it will start to get out of hand, as more and more people try to add stuff to the FAQ.

I do not mind answering questions, but when you find yourself answering the Kangaxx issue for the countless time, you do feel like creating a shortcut.

To cut a long story short, the webpage is actually for my own benefit.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:24 AM   #7
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
Actually, the MoD can still hit Kangaxx the Demi-Lich even if it is not upgraded yet. It is because of the bonuses granted against Undead for it.

Ahh.....I'd never tried with the standard MoD. The enchantment to hit against other foes still stands though which is confusing to some since it's called the Mace of Disruption+2, when actually it's +5 when determining what it can hit.

quote:
On a side note though, are you positive that Berserkers cannot re-rage immediately?

I wasn't positive, but I've just created a new game to test it and you cannot re-enrage while fatigued.

Finally, IIRC the Warhammer+1/+4 vs giant kin strikes as a +4 weapon so this should hit him too.....Good job remembering the Dragons Breath/Blackmist Halberds....I think that's everything now [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:28 AM   #8
Jan

This is great. Well done mate.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:57 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

That's odd.....in my last game, I had a Berserker->Cleric who WAS able to re-enrage while Fatigued. That's odd.

Great job, Dundee! My only suggestion would be to break the page up into several pages, and create a table of links to each, to allow readers to determine how much they wanted themselves to be spoiled.

Somebody else also made a page on The Most Annoying Demi-Lich Ever, and that one gets kudos too, because part of it is a song "50 Ways to Kill your Kangaxx", sung to the tune of Simon & Garfunkel's "50 Ways to Leave your Lover," complete with MIDI soundtrack. I forget the address, but do a search for the word "Elmonster," and look for a journal of Elmonster's travels. That'll get you to the site.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
That's odd.....in my last game, I had a Berserker->Cleric who WAS able to re-enrage while Fatigued. That's odd.

Ah?!?! I think I will go back home and create a Berserker myself, and test it out.

Great job, Dundee! My only suggestion would be to break the page up into several pages, and create a table of links to each, to allow readers to determine how much they wanted themselves to be spoiled.

This is exactly what I am doing for the Dragon Tips website, but I am not sure whether I should for the Kangaxx website, as... well... I do not think it is big enough to justify the use of multipages. I will consider it however.

Somebody else also made a page on The Most Annoying Demi-Lich Ever, and that one gets kudos too, because part of it is a song "50 Ways to Kill your Kangaxx", sung to the tune of Simon & Garfunkel's "50 Ways to Leave your Lover," complete with MIDI soundtrack. I forget the address, but do a search for the word "Elmonster," and look for a journal of Elmonster's travels. That'll get you to the site.

That be the Baldurdash website. Been there, and seen it, but I want this to be my own style.

Land of the Psycho-moe