Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
supercowman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

R.A. SAlvatore is known best probably for creating Drizzt Do'Urden one of my favorite charcters in all fantasy novels and of all Faerun. Drizzt is a beast, he is awesome. The writors works are as good if not better than Lord of The Rings and I could quote every line from those books. but the Dark Elf Trilogy has captured me and won't let me go, it's one of the greatest literay works of all time. the philosophy and goodness of drizzt and montolio, the evil of the drow, the friendship of Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, Regis, and Bruenor, creates an incredible enviroment.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i agree.. and also i agree this is in the books forum . so just dont be surprised if your thread was moved there.

have you read the latest one of drizzt adventures? its the one where he is fighting 1000orcs or so

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-26-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yep. Books and movies forum.

Nice that you like him supercowman, but I consider him to be a hack. He created some good characters and then told some interesting tales, but he can't resist the Monty Haul urge. He can't kill his characters, and worse, he kills them and then brings them back -- over and over and over. It's worse than Days of Our Lives with him.

Plus, his style is not... well, it's not the grand style of Tolkein nor the involved realistic style of GRR Martin. Rather, he writes rather mundane narratives that any college student could hack up.

He also has a problem developing dynamic characters, though he has come a long way in this regard, particularly with Artemis and Drizzt. Now, don't get me wrong, the recent stuff with Artemis was entertaining, but was crappy writing for other reasons.

And, you can have my copy of that piece of crap sea of swords if you like. It still smells like urine because I thought it was so bad I took a leak on it.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:58 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

is it that bad timber? thanks for the warning.. you just saved me 30AUD

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-26-2004, 02:37 AM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
And, you can have my copy of that piece of crap sea of swords if you like. It still smells like urine because I thought it was so bad I took a leak on it.
I wouldn't be that harsh, Timber.

I'd gladly bear Salvatore's children. He writes neat stuff, and pretty good action sequences. However, he's a writer that won the market not by talent, but persistence. He cranks out a LOT of stuff and writes for several series, not just Forgotten Wars. It's the quantity that gets him published, not the quality.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Books and movies it is, then.