Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

I've started the second level of the Watcher's Keep and am a little confused. I've cleared out the libraries on the east and west and south, but can't get into the room with the fan. Do I have to clear out that north room first? I started to, but there are two fire giants in there, and they kicked my butt, man. Oh, I also have a key to the slime room, but I though I had to open the fan room first? Someone help me!

[ 09-11-2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Shotgun ]
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #2
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun:
I've started the second level of the Watcher's Keep and am a little confused. I've cleared out the libraries on the east and west and south, but can't get into the room with the fan. Do I have to clear out that north room first? I started to, but there are two fire giants in there, and they kicked my butt, man. Oh, I also have a key to the slime room, but I though I had to open the fan room first? Someone help me!
ok, since you cleared out all the libraries, you should have FOUR notes...read them carefully and thoroughly (be advised to read any note you find in WK carefully), you should be fine.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Shotgun
Manshoon

So there isn't a library to the left of the demon cage? I've done the one with the golems, the one with the mists, and the one with the spiders, but there's another room I can enter that has two fire giants, and I just can't figure out how to kill them. Is that also the one room that can get me into the fan lab? All of the other doors are locked and I can't get into them. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
So there isn't a library to the left of the demon cage? I've done the one with the golems, the one with the mists, and the one with the spiders, but there's another room I can enter that has two fire giants, and I just can't figure out how to kill them. Is that also the one room that can get me into the fan lab? All of the other doors are locked and I can't get into them. Thanks!
oh yeah...there are fire giants in one library (you'll have tons of fun with them comes ToB time)

anyway, to kill them,
spoiler
summon Mordenkainen's Swords (how many of them depends on the level of your party, if you want an easier time, just summon five). Fire Giants will be distracted by those magical swords but cannot really do damage to those floating sowrds...while they are bugged to hell by the sowrds, Mazzy and Minsc can take cheap shots and finish them off easily

[ 09-11-2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-11-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Do you know if other summoned creatures would work or is the sword my best bet? Thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Okay, I'll give that a shot. Do you know if other summoned creatures would work or is the sword my best bet? Thanks!
Mordenkainen's Sword is the most effective I've found against fire giants. Skeleton Warriors, Devas/Planeters and elemental princes (these are ToB HLAs, you should have one of two of them already at this stage) may hold them for a short while, but not as effective as the swords. for all the other lesser summons I've tried (cannot say that I've tried every summon) will be chunked into pieces very quickly by those giants.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:40 PM   #7
Elramir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another simple tactic to kill these Giants is to equip your two tanks (or how many you got in your party) with the boots of speed. At this point of the game you should have at least two pairs of them, if not use the spell haste. The rest of your Party should be a bit back and in a safe position.

Then you sent one of your tanks inside the library a try to make one of them chase you, while the other Fire Giant "waits" in the library. Once he's is out and alone it is easy. Attack him with your tanks and if the health of one of your fighters is down run away. The Giant will run after you a few meters but then attack your other tank (who has stil plenty of health). Heal your injured Melee Fighter with Potions and go back into the battle. Once your other Fighter is hurt badly run away again and repeat this procedure until the Giant is dead. You can support your tanks by casting Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting at the Giant.

After the Battle you take on the other Giant in the same way.

[ 09-11-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Elramir ]
[img]\"http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~paulmay/misc/dtrotate.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><b>Don\'t expect your own Messiah<br />This neverworld which you desire<br />Is only in your mind<br /><br />(Dream Theater - Voices)</b>
Elramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
Devv
The Magister

All these tank lovers bah [img]tongue.gif[/img] I just cast greater malison then emotion. The giants don't seem to have very good saves against that spell anyway, the greater malison just makes it a surer bet. Both are only level 4 spells too

Another thing you could do is cast grease on the floor infront of them and nuked the hell out of them with magic missiles and skull traps n the like. Grease is really effective on them and is a level 1 spell.

Stick with the top tactic for a sure win though, the fire giants do massive damage to low level tanks...not if they're sleeping tho
Devv is offline   Reply With Quote