Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

I'm sorry if this is percieved as ranting but I just wanted to warn people off of this "guide" from Versus. I basically bought it for the item list and the "discussions" on NPC strategy and the new special class abilities. Man o man what a waste of time and money! Granted, I haven't read the walk-through (I don't want to be spoiled, and yes, I have that kind of self control...) so I can't comment on the quality of that section of the guide, but the rest is nothing to get excited about.

Basically, if you read the strategy sections of the guide the author(s) have something bad to say about almost any given NPC/special ability and nothing constructive or creative about the use of either NPCS or Spec Abilities...These guys strike me as the epitome of the whining power gamer. They seem oblivious to almost all of the great strategies that the ppl here and on the SoA board have come up with regarding these elements of the game. I guess what I'm saying is just to get your tips on strategy from the folks here on this board, the "guide" IS NOT worth the $20 Cnd that I paid for it...did the authors even play the game?

This is not a personal attack on the authors themselves, just a criticism of the book they put out...any other comments?
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:44 PM   #2
Blade Soulreaver
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You payed 20 bucks? I have only seen it for around 10

------------------
"Life is like shoving a grenade up a chickens ass and seeing how far it can run before it explodes"
Blade Soulreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 09:26 PM   #3
Northraven
Manshoon

Yeah $20 Canadian. Oh well, live and learn...
Old 07-18-2001, 05:00 PM   #4
G'kar

Look carefully for printing errors in some copies of the guide. Paragraphs repeat themselves, leaving out info in the chapter 8 walk-through section. I'm just glad I skimmed through it first before I purchased. Eventually I found an untainted copy at another store.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:07 PM   #5
hazard
Dungeon Master

There are about 2 or 3 pages of repeating paragraphs.

There are ALOT of errors in the item list ( which is the only thing I buy the guides for ). There are also repeating weapons, like a scimitar repeated in the katana section, with the name of a katana that is already listed, with powers of neither.

Their strategy's are also ridiculous. I agree about them whining. This isnt worth it, that isnt worth it ... this is the bulk of the high level ability section. And towards the endgame its the same repeating strategy that is mentioned ... dont bother casting spells, just hammer your opponent with melee attacks. From reading this guide, you would be under the impression that a mage can do nothing in the game, which is far from the truth. Save yourself the money and trouble on this one.
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 08:22 AM   #6
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

It's amazing how many people have poor judgement (it's good that you have turned from your evil ways !) and BUY game guides. That's just garbage. Anyone with any sense at all will realize that if you go online, you can get the BEST and MOST ACCURATE information (regarding video games) for ABSO-FRICKING-LUTELY FREE ! But then again, everyone's gotta put food on the table.
homsuplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:12 PM   #7
Northraven
Manshoon

Just an example of the mindless whining that goes on in this guide...the authors give the thumbs-down to the thieves special "make item" ability...why? This ability is useful in that a thief can make up a large number of useful potions like the potion of Master Thievery...after all the stores only have so many of those things in stock...not earth-shaking but not utter crap either. These guys even contradict themselves by saying that they hate things, NPC's, etc. that they claimed to have LOVED in SoA. Like I said before, it makes you wonder if these guys have even played the damn game. If I was Bioware I'd be pretty displeased with "Versus" over their handling of the official "perfect guide"...the list of crap about this guide goes on and on...DO NOT BUY IT! I did and now I regret the $20...go see a movie instead.

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"