Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Shocked [WotLK Discussion] Have you seen some of the new WotLK items? (and other topics)

Some of the mid-70s greens (let alone the blues) are better than my S2/T4 stuff. What's the point of raiding now, other than for fun, when you can zoom through 70-80 as fast as you did in Outland?

Why bother grinding badges when your gear will be obsolete in 5 levels in Northrend (other than to make sure your grind is quicker than those of others), considering the fact that you can't carry badges over for the new Northrend badge gear?

Looks like there's absolutely no point in spending any honour or arena points now - may as well save them till the expansion. Do they carry over?

You guys have been through this with BC - how did you approach this?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Lavindathar
Harper

Default Re: Have you seen some of the new WotLK items?

Because my SWP items, are better than some Naxx raid items at level 80.

So, I will level without changing an item, very quickly I might add, and have good enough gear to start raiding the moment I hit 80.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What did you do at 60 though Lav? Did you dump most of your raid items within a few levels?

Having said that, I did use my Grand Marshal AV swords till level 69. I didn't find anything in Outland that was better than those. But armour I dumped pretty quickly.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

TBC was slightly different, the gear was FAR more hiked up in Outlands than Northrend will be. So I replaced an awful lot of items.

Even full Naxx gear (Tier3) only lasted until around level 65. But some items were still good at 70 (Neltharion's Tear anyone?)
Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Some of the mid-70s greens (let alone the blues) are better than my S2/T4 stuff. What's the point of raiding now, other than for fun, when you can zoom through 70-80 as fast as you did in Outland?

Why bother grinding badges when your gear will be obsolete in 5 levels in Northrend (other than to make sure your grind is quicker than those of others), considering the fact that you can't carry badges over for the new Northrend badge gear?
Why I still grind/raid? Because I want my rogue to be more powerful than she is right now.

Some of the items you carried over will be of use to you in expansion.

Did you read about the players in China that down Illidan with T3 gears?

Quote:
Looks like there's absolutely no point in spending any honour or arena points now - may as well save them till the expansion. Do they carry over?
Your arena points will reset after you reach level 71. Your honor points will be saved.

Will still pvp? Because you want to gather as much resilience items as possible. You will still need resilience to pvp at 80.

Quote:
You guys have been through this with BC - how did you approach this?
I was 5/8 D1 with 1 GM main sword. I replaced my armours as fast as I can find one in outland. My GM main sword lasted until I was exalted with aldor.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
TBC was slightly different, the gear was FAR more hiked up in Outlands than Northrend will be. So I replaced an awful lot of items.
Not true. The stuff dropping on the way up to 80 is a huge upgrade... but the real difference is in mechanics change.

You will now be yet another caster reliant upon Spirit. It will factor into your Fel Armor calculation, it will factor into your raw spell power, and it will factor into your passive mana regen, which yes, now, you young warlock will actually give a crap about.

So, since you'll be wanting more spirit, and since NONE of your SWP/T6 gear is geared toward spirit (because warlocks didn't need any at all before), and because level 72-75 drops easily contain 40 spirit each, you will probably be casting gear aside EVEN FASTER than you did during TBC leveling.

Sad but true. And Neltharion's Tear still pwns. But the caster weapons in the new Naxx are over +400 spell power, e.g. nearly double what the level 70 stuff is.

All that said, let me be clear that this is TYPICAL MUDFLATION.

It's a new game, all this stuff all this content Lavindathar and I are pushing.... it's just to SEE it and DO it and EXPERIENCE it. Our gear might last us a couple of levels more than other people's in Northrend, but nothing we're doing now is for uber WotLK gear. It's about seeing the fights.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's what I meant - I had a look at some of the gear dropping in NR and even at mid-75 they are easily on a par with S2/T4. The only missing attribute is +hit as most of them have +agi, +sta and +ap. Obviously none of them have resil, but I have my resil set anyway. But I'm the same as Timber - I'm just excited to see the content. Remember that until 4 weeks ago I was a pvp whore and only started raiding very recently. I want to see the content.

So Timber - will you be dropping some of the BT drops for NR greens?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
So Timber - will you be dropping some of the BT drops for NR greens?
Maybe, depending on the level and stats. My T6 gear has very good boosts at both the 2-piece level (casting 2 DPS spells on any target giving me a steady income of +88 health per 1.5 seconds) and the 4-piece level (making my bread n butter Shadowbolt do more damage). So, we shall see, it all depends on the drops.

In TBC while levelling I was loathe to give up the bonuses from having T2 gear, and didn't ditch the 2 piece bonus until way late in the game. On the other hand, I replaced my awesomesauce staff off of Ossirian (Yay to the Bug-leg!) at about level 65 with that lightsaber-looking weapon that drops in Coilfang, and I even wasted time enchanting the stupid thing with spellpower (note: a much better drop occurred at the Ring of Trials in Nagrand just 1 or 2 levels later).

My serious advice on leveling up: Don't treat anything as good until you're at the top level, and don't enchant anything (unless you're an enchanter by trade, and then possibly reconsider) until you start getting the top level drops. At the top level (80 in the new expansion) there are about 5 levels of gear, and you don't want to waste time on gear until you get at least the first level of top-level gear. If you're at level 75 and worried about gear, the answer is LEVEL UP!

I note, with some sadness, that at level 80 I may not be a part of the raid game like I am now. I have one kid who just turned 1, and another on the way. So, we shall see. If I can teach my daughter to farm for me, then it may make it easier.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

Timber, the only item slot so far that I think will be changed via levelling is weapons and trinkets. There is a 75 blue dagger thats awesome. And some 75 trinkets. the 80 nax spell sword pawns my Felymst staff.

But the actual armor, my SWP will stay.

And, I trust me, I wont be changing my gear for spirit while levelling. Ive tried beta. I'm levelling as affliction. Dark pact returns 5k mana to me per hit. Spirit is now important for locks, but I wont be stacking it before 80. Trust me.