Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Sorry, but I just have to rant:

*rant on*

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

@~*&ing Windows, how I hate theeee.

Due to lack of space on my Linux drives, I was installing NwN on my Windows partition. I had switched into Windows and had been downloading all the new EfU / CEP files for hours and was almost done when I got a damn blue screen of death. Unfortunately I can't get the downloads to resume either, so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to play Escape from Undermountain now when I've kept this evening free. Grr!

How can you people get work done on an operating system that crashes?!

*rant off*

Anyway, some advice from you knowledgeable Windows folks would be much appreciated before I tear the drive out and throw it across the room.

I've done a google for this BAD_POOL_CALLER thing and not come up with anything too concrete. Someone suggested it was caused by a corrupted system pagefile, but not sure how accurate that is.

Another person suggested that it was fixed in a critical security update, so I'm planning to update my installation. Luckily I found a cunning site which will do most of it with one restart which will save me playing 'restart circus' with Windows Update too many times.

Can anyone confirm that this isn't likely to be too terminal for me? Cheers [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that this isn't likely to be too terminal for me? Cheers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314492/EN-US/
It should tell you how to debug the kernel dump to figure out exactly what happened.

It's impossible to diagnose any sort of STOP message with just the name, but my guess is that you have a bad driver somewhere.

[ 06-09-2006, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Now you know why so many people curse Winblows, Micro$haft, and Bill Gates one after the other - and WinXP is "the best windows yet".

Imagine what it was like before XP. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Thanks Seraph, that looks like the same code I got too. Unfortunately I only have a couple of third party drivers installed, both are pretty important - wireless and graphics card. I'll have to try reinstalling it if it happens again I guess. Here's hoping the updates fix it

@Sir Krustin - I can remember! I was one of the poor people to have a copy of Windows 95 before the service packs

Not that age is any excuse for lack of stability, but it does remind you of how old XP actually is now! I find myself almost looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on Vista...with its revamped kernel it should hopefully iron out many of the preventable stability issues that exist in XP. Plus it'll be fun to tinker with a new version of Windows

Edit:

Yay!! Just realised I had a pretty outdated testing build of Opera installed in Windows...I just installed Beta 2 and I can resume my downloads [img]smile.gif[/img] All is not lost! EfU here I come!

[ 06-09-2006, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Stability issues in XP?

Sorry, but that just means you're a bad XP user.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Stability issues in XP?

Sorry, but that just means you're a bad XP user.
there will always be a chance for conflicts. i too got a blue screen of death around 3 times (over the past 3 year). Im not complaining because Ive lived thru Win95 and Win98 and i get those nasty Blue sceen of death so often i wanted to hammer my pc to oblivion. So there is always a small chance of unstability.. always

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't think I've ever gotten a Blue Screen of Death. Maybe I'm just lucky.