Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Once more, I find a new thing to be completely enthralled with on the internet...Wikipedia!

Seriously. Need help on your math homework? Wikipedia can probably help. Need help on your physics/geology/english/political science/whatever homework? Yep, it can still help.

And then, I discover how much pop culture is on the thing...for instance, just look up Superman. You'll get a vast sea of links that, if like me you have Firefox (or another tabbed browser), you can open those links in new tabs, reading each tab in series, and ultimately gaining a new understanding of the plot of the DC universe...or Marvel, or Midkemia, just to name a few.

I find it hideously addicting, and I can literally spend hours on the site, "surfing the net," a term I never thought I'd use.

Anybody else an addict? What have you looked at through the course of like twenty links, and gained a new understanding of?

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

er, that people from Kentucky are obssessive and compulsive? [img]tongue.gif[/img] During some hot and heavy debates elsewhere, I did a lot of research through there, and it was great to get literally hundreds of links on some things, to try and get a broader view of the subject.

Note: It's more fun to have an IM open, and discuss links while you and the other person take different ones, and then narrow down to the best 5 or 6 sources.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ah.. Wiki is great, isn't it? I've spend entire weekends on that site. The history of the Roman Empire? Deities from any fantasy universe? Bio's on every single song of the Beatles? They've got it all. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Marathon
Elminster

I just spent over an hour on that this weekend - I was looking up something on Spiderman, ended up reading up on the Ultimate Marvel universe, then some bands I like, and so on. Easy to get caught up on the site.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Dito on the Marvel comics. I ended up reading the supervillain bio's of pretty much every Spiderman's enemies.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Yeah it's great. What's also helpful is:

wowwiki.com - The World of Warcraft Wiki. Perfect for when I quickly need to look up lore, or find out who someone is.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Even after years of using it, I am still in disbelief that such a site exists and is free. Before going to bed, I've often said "Lemme just check that little thing that dude mentioned on Wiki" and found myself losing another 5 hours on it.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Heh, I spent 3 hours in Wikipedia yesterday reading bios on Marvel superheroes and Malcolm X. I don't remember what I was originally looking for at Wiki.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Marathon
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivelliis:
Yeah it's great. What's also helpful is:

wowwiki.com - The World of Warcraft Wiki. Perfect for when I quickly need to look up lore, or find out who someone is.
They've got NWNWiki as well for Neverwinter Nights. Better than any player handbook.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
ocellis
The Magister

Wiki is great for topics which are more or less undisputed. It can provide a good overview in other areas as well, but i wouldn't use it for research. (It is not considered an acceptable source at my university, anyhow)
ocellis is offline   Reply With Quote