Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yoric, I'll not reply to the anti-death penalty thing, which has had volumes posted about it on IWF.

But, did you have to quote his whole post?

Oh, and on the revenge thing: Yes, you are right that it creates a vicious cycle. But, not if your revenge is either (1) unknown or (2) final.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Yoric, I'll not reply to the anti-death penalty thing, which has had volumes posted about it on IWF.

But, did you have to quote his whole post?

Oh, and on the revenge thing: Yes, you are right that it creates a vicious cycle. But, not if your revenge is either (1) unknown or (2) final.
Well I'm anti-death penalty worldwide, not just in America. South East Asia executes drug dealers. They view it as a serious serious crime. No different to America executing murderers which they consider a serious serious crime. Both crimes ruin peoples lives in different ways. The issue here, is that THIS guy is supposedly innocent. The legal system is not foolproof.

I remember being paranoid about stepping foot in a S/E Asian nation because of all the stories of westerners being wrongly convicted.

Re. Revenge, what do you become when you exact it? The enemy is not the human per se, but the self-centred, destructive choices people so often make. That is what needs to be bested. By participating in more destructive behaviour, one perpetuates the problem. Becomes the monster.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #23
Lavindathar
Harper

Lol, it will be final.

But thats only cos he won't know who did it. I ain't gonna kill him or nothing, I aint violent. Just gonna sneak up behind him take his legs out, so he cant move, plant whatever, sneak off and ring the police from a nearby payphone, then leave. He lives hour drive away, so no chance of tracking down. Take a baseball bat to both his kneecaps or his ribs. Lol, I hate violence, but he deserves it.

Old 01-23-2003, 03:11 PM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Lol, it will be final.

But thats only cos he won't know who did it. I ain't gonna kill him or nothing, I aint violent. Just gonna sneak up behind him take his legs out, so he cant move, plant whatever, sneak off and ring the police from a nearby payphone, then leave. He lives hour drive away, so no chance of tracking down. Take a baseball bat to both his kneecaps or his ribs. Lol, I hate violence, but he deserves it.

I cannot advise you strongly enough not to pursue this course of action.
You need to allow room for error. What if he DOES know it's you? What if someone sees you? What if you accidentally kill him and you are caught? A blow to the head could kill him. A blow to the ribs could puncture a lung. What if you miss, and he overpowers you and you are maimed, and arrested for drug possession and attempted assault? What if you are caught with the baseball bat and drugs before you get to the guy?

Too much can go wrong. This is not your battle. You don't know how this story will pan out. DO NOT take the law into your own hands. You risk ruining two or more additional lives with this course of action.

[ 01-23-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 01-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Gawd, Yoric, way to derail a thread. Lemme see: [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

See, I don't mind this namby pamby debate crap in a properly labelled forum, where I have fair warning. But, when it comes outta left field it's annoying. I don't mind these discussions most days, but some days I just wanna stay away from re-educating liberals 'cause I just don't have the strength.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I just wanna stay away from re-educating liberals 'cause I just don't have the strength.
Careful Timber. That's most unlike you. You've labelled me a liberal and insulted my intelligence. Where I am from, a Liberal is into laizzes faire capitalism and unconcerned with social welfare. So be careful with the generalisations. Secondly, we could both charge the other with a need for "re-education". WHere would that get us. THe fact is, this guy is supposedly innocent, and there are nations which would kill him wrongly. It IS on topic, it IS relevent and it IS a matter of concern.

Peace.

Old 01-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, Yoric, as I have posted before the ONLY reason I oppose the death penalty is the margin of error. There are some crimes, IMHO, you deserve to die for committing. For some crimes, again IMHO, you deserve long rounds of torture and then death. But, that's in the 100% certainty-of-guilt cases only.

Sorry, I used a definition of liberal from another part of the world. Here it means liking big government, handouts, and generally being progressive (many parts of which are good - like environmentalism). What you described we call a "libertarian" here.

Yeah, my re-education bit was half toungue-in-cheek -- and a little rude. That said, there are some issues that people post, on this board and elsewhere in the world, that I absolutlely think them silly and lesser for thinking. I did mention I'm an elitist, didn't I?

[ 01-23-2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-23-2003, 04:22 PM   #28
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Lol, it will be final.

Lavi, you keep breaking rule #1!!
STOP ADVERTIZEING!!!

It is a sure way to draw in bad karma and get you caught.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:33 PM   #29
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

No schmidt, Hunter.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:50 PM   #30
Lavindathar
Harper

Whatever.

I'll do whatever I think it right at the time, depending on my temper. Lol.

Don't like the idea, but he deserves it. Anyway, calmed down since last night, no more talk of violence.