Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

After reading the replies to my first post, this is the party I created:

Drawven fighter (shield)
Half-orc barbarian (never tried before, and don't mind him)
Paladin (Order or Mystra)
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue

I like the rogue's abilities, simply because they're helpful. Now here's my new question: I'm slowly learning about the new multiclass rules and want to know the best multiclass options for these characters. I'm thinking of giving my Paladin some wizard skills, as I believe she can do that because of her order and still be able to level in the Paladin class. The Rogue I want to multiclass, but am not sure to what--bard? druid? What about the wizard and cleric? Or should I just keep them as-is? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[ 03-09-2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Shotgun ]
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

When considering multiclassing, keep this in mind: the game is set up so that a full party of 6 will be around level 16 by the end of the game. That's 16 total levels, so, for instance, if you multiclass to two professions and keep them even, the character would be 8/8 at the finale.

For that reason, I wouldn't multi a wizard or sorcerer, although some people have done that with monks (monk/sorc). I have given my fighters a bit of Rogue for the evasion skill (quite handy at times), but they were, of course, human or half-elf to avoid penalties. Other professions remained pure.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Multi the rogue to a ranger and keep the levels in balance. A paladin multi to wizard is cool, because the Paladins are great low-level mixes. Take a mix which enables you high levels for the caster(13 for wizard). As the races determine penalties for multiclassing, what are they? Everything else I'd keep as-is.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Keep in mind there are severe penalties for casting mage spells while wearing armor (the heavier the armor, the worse the penalty). Also, I think you lose the ability to advance as paladin if you multi to wizard or sorcerer; if I recall correctly, a paladin can only multi to a cleric class without stopping advancement.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Not a Pally of Mystra. The same goes for a Paladin of Helm who can be a Fighter if '0m not mistaken etc...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

Shotgun, certain classes are perfect candidates for MC combos. Those classes are ones where the primary stats for each of the 2 classes are the same.

For example, the rogue and ranger classes mesh well because they share a number of common skills and they are both classes where DEX is important, due to those skills.

Another example is the Fighter/Pally of Helm MC combo. Aside from the fact that Pally's of Helm allow free MC'ing with fighter, the two classes mesh since both are "warrior" classes.

I also believe that the Fighter/Rogue is a solid MC combination. While a ftr/rogue combo will not maintain its skills as well as a ranger/rogue combo, the fighter levels will add more feats. I won't say that fighter/rogue is better or worse than the ranger/rogue combo. Both have their strong upsides. It's a matter of style and preference. The fighter/rogue will probably be a slightly warrior while the ranger/rogue will be a better in the skills.

Be careful about your multiclassing that you do not create MC combos that cause your character to get the XP penalty.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Another good combination is a fighter 4/druid X

It gives all armor/weapon proficiencies and some druid spells are the best in the game.

[ 03-10-2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 03-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
Shotgun
Manshoon

After reading a number of posts, and trying to play with my original party, I made some changes. Here's my new party:

Paladin, Order or Helm (multiclass to fighter, if necessary since I got rid of my dwarven fighter)
Barbarian, half-orc
Ranger
Sorcerer
Cleric
Rogue (multiclass to druid, true neutral, both wisdom and dexterity points)

Does that sound as if it could work? I'm beginning to wonder if I should change the rogue so she can multiclass to a ranger and choose something else to replace my ranger. I'm not that far into the game (still on first map), so it wouldn't be a problem. If I got rid of the ranger, should I create a druid instead or bring back the dwarven fighter?
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Having two healers in a party can get powerfull at some levels. I think this could be a great party.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun:

Does that sound as if it could work? I'm beginning to wonder if I should change the rogue so she can multiclass to a ranger and choose something else to replace my ranger. I'm not that far into the game (still on first map), so it wouldn't be a problem. If I got rid of the ranger, should I create a druid instead or bring back the dwarven fighter?
The best way to figure how good a party is is to play it yourself. Yours looks quite good. You can have a rogue multiclass to ranger and have a dwarven fighter/druid.
Bear in mind though that with sorcerer as your only arcane spellcasters you will have a limited spell selection, so make sure you pick good ones. Though at the same time a sorcerer can cast any spell from a scroll.