Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default ESET Software question

Your ESET Software trial is about to expire

I just this email. I thought it was always free? Can I continue to use it for free, or do I have to buy it now? And if I do, is there another free option that's good?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: ESET Software question

I'm sure you can figure this out. You can start by checking your "Adaware help" post in which numerous people gave you advice on numerous free PC security programs. Why do you ask questions like this?? How the hell do we know what you DL'ed??

BTW,, you are very inappropriately named. There is NOTHING "farseeing" about your posts here. You are constantly in need of hand-holding about the most mundane things.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

V, I just looked at the ESET website. They offer 2 packages, and both have a 30-day trial. After that it's time to pay up.

E, gotta say your post struck me as being just a *little* out of line.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
I'm sure you can figure this out. You can start by checking your "Adaware help" post in which numerous people gave you advice on numerous free PC security programs. Why do you ask questions like this?? How the hell do we know what you DL'ed??

BTW,, you are very inappropriately named. There is NOTHING "farseeing" about your posts here. You are constantly in need of hand-holding about the most mundane things.
Thanks for all help VR!!

The reason I posted this is because this was supposed to free permanently. Now, it's telling me I have to buy the full version.

I'll ask Z to change it to short-sited, just to make you happy!

..and it's not like we're inundated with posts here or anything, so who cares!

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 03-30-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

ESET = Nod32 correct?
V, they have two items. The first being the on-line scanner, which is free, but not resident. The second being the download resident Nod32 install. It is good for a 30 day free trial, then one must fork over the cash, or look elsewhere. There are many, but in cyberspace marketing "none" compare to Nod32 (or each other for that matter).

My recommendation is based upon your job. If you use home PC for any work related projects, let the IT folks know what you do, and that you currently do not have any (strong) AV software. If not, then you must decide on your own accord and experience what you would like.

In my experience during this last round of your PC issues, this rig was running the free AVG AV. IYRC, corporate linked me to Symantec Endpoint Protection. After install and update, it found three instances that AVG free did not, nor did ESET free scanner (in there defense, it was several days after on-line scan was conducted). Thereby, my recommendation is not AVG!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

First of all,
Sorry Elfbane, you were correct; mostly. I probably could have figured it out for myself.

I probably rely on the people here too much. I do find though, that all this protection stuff to be really daunting.
I currently have Spybot-SD Resident, SUPER Antispyware, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Online Armor and Armor Firewall running. I run Adaware fairly regularly as well.

I was running AVG for some time, but changed that, as per recommendations here.

The other thing I kind of don't like, is that you pay the same price for the download, in most cases, as the boxed version. They gotta be saving money by way of download. I would rather have the box with a disc and some documentation in it.

Felix,
This is strictly a home based PC with XP Pro on it. I do work from home, but it's a work PC, which I use for only that. I guess that's my other problem. Am I getting the best bang for my buck? I have bought other stuff in the past and found it to be very inadequate.
I have 2 copies of Norton Systemworks in my desk drawer. I was very disappointed with them.

Again ElfBane, sorry.

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 03-29-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Am I getting the best bang for my buck?
That can only be answered by you, with a bit of understanding.

IMHO, Symantec endpoint is the standalone that i trust my rig to. Weekly we this rig stops by ESET for free scan, and CCleaner for double checks. *NOTHING* has been found by another product since endpoint has been installed and running. As well, it is very minimal on system resources, sits quietly, and like me, becomes a bulldog when something arouses it.

With this experience, if I had to pay money, it would be Symantec endpoint. No gimmicks, no questions, no bull.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

That's good to hear. The main reason for not using the other stuff I have is because it was a hog. And when your PC is 5-6 years old...

Doing the google thing, it looks like it's a full package?
"Endpoint Protection: Antivirus, Antispyware, Intrusion Prevention ..."

Are you running all of these things, or just the Antivirus part of it?

It would also be nice to buy it in support of.. is it TDC or.. who works for them?

Edit: Go figure; not available on Staples.ca: might be in the store though..
..looks like Amazon.ca has one new copy at $24.99. That sounds like a very good price?

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 03-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

This rig is so ancient, your's is new. Last day of Socket A clearance, running a 1600 AMD Sempron and 1GB of DDR.

Yes, all three are running, very efficiently I might add. Very unobtrusive, straight forward, and nothing like the old days when it took an extra 45 seconds to boot up due to Symantec protection. I have since dropped MS Defender, 'soft' firewall, and adaware. I'm happy, the rig is happy, and the free scanners have yet to exploit anything Norton has missed.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Here's what TDC told me via PM.

Quote:
The latest version is 11.0.4 so just ensure that you have the latest version on media if you are going to buy it.
If it comes with a License then I would say yes you can get the .4 release. However that just looks to be the media pack with no license. Below is the link to our online store just so you can see the price comparison.

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/...uctID.80779800

However the minimum License purchase for SEP is 5

For Home use I would recommend either Norton Internet Security 2009 or Norton 360 Version 3.0 they are both super quick now and I am now using NIS2009 at home.
I'm glad I didn't buy it. I don't know what "media pack" means, but it sounds kinda useless w/o a license.