Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

For like 4 years in a row, I've went mountain skiing to Sweden and Norway. This is always at some time between 2-nd and 15-th January, lasting a week.

However, this year I'd like to try out something different - Namely snowboarding. I've heard that it's a lot more difficult than it looks, so I'd be grateful if any who are skilled in snowboarding would give some(any) tips.

I believe that I'll be unable to answer in about 3-4 hours, since that's when we're going.

Also, my birthday is being held there at the 8-th of January. It's funny how we go every year at the time of my birthday, so there's this one day when everybody treats me specially.

EDIT: I'm going to Funesdalen, so if anyone knows the place, please tell me how good it is.

Thank you, and bubbah.

[ 01-03-2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 01-03-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Skippy1
Elminster

Happy birthday USS!

Haven't been skiing for a long time now, and never really snow-boarded. Tried it when it first started out. Only then your boots were fixed side by side, with your toes pointing down the length of the board. have to say at the time I wasn't really impressed, but then we were doing it wrong.

Hope you have a good time though. Have fun.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
Happy birthday USS!

Haven't been skiing for a long time now, and never really snow-boarded. Tried it when it first started out. Only then your boots were fixed side by side, with your toes pointing down the length of the board. have to say at the time I wasn't really impressed, but then we were doing it wrong.

Hope you have a good time though. Have fun.
Thanks a lot.

It is possible that snowboarding won't work for me, and that I change back to skiing equipment there. Last year, one friend tried snowboarding for the first time. He can ski amazingly well with only 1 week of trying, going down a 'black' track(black as in the most dangerous) with top speed and still being able to stop at the right time. However, last year he changed back to skiing equipment after 2 days of trying and said that it's very annoying. I hope I won't share the same fate.

Anyway, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

i am not a big skier or snowboarder, I have tried to snow board ones I made it about2,5 meters at tha time.. so it took me about ten minutes to make it down one litle hill..
but the worst thing was that my 7years old kusin flew by me about 4 times....

[ 01-03-2004, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Calsiumus ]
Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Calsiumus:
i am not a big skier or snowboarder, I have tried to snow board ones I made it about2,5 meters at tha time.. so it took me about ten minutes to make it down one litle hill..
but the worst thing was that my 7years old kusin flew by me about 4 times....
Hehe, in my first mountain skiing trip, I learnt that many times when a person falls down while skiing, he wills himself to, because of fear of the speed going too fast to control. Falling down is actually a very effective defense mechanism, as it almost instantaneously stops you from sliding any longer. Though it still is a form of escape from skiing/boarding and therefore used by people who are slightly inept with using the chosen equipment, not professionals.

I remember my first time mountain skiing - I fell down after every 5 seconds of skiing It's most likely that history will repeat itself when I try out snowboarding.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

nope.. snowboarding is waay harder unless you know how to skateboard.. i tried snowboarding first.. believe me that its way hard!

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
[]Hehe, in my first mountain skiing trip, I learnt that many times when a person falls down while skiing, he wills himself to, because of fear of the speed going too fast to control. Falling down is actually a very effective defense mechanism, as it almost instantaneously stops you from sliding any longer. Though it still is a form of escape from skiing/boarding and therefore used by people who are slightly inept with using the chosen equipment, not professionals.
[/QB]
Me the great calsiumus is not afriad!! I not scared of ANYTHING!!! MUHAHAH!
Aww a mouse!

hehe no you might right...

[ 01-04-2004, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Calsiumus ]
Old 01-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Light Bulb

you lucky sob, I wanna go boarding in sweden

I've been boarding for 6 years or so if I remember right (but had the last few years off due to lack of money and other commitments [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) it took me a week to learn to board but it's one of those things that can take years to master.

Give it a try for sure and don't give up after the first day you'll love the sport I'm sure [img]smile.gif[/img]