Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
MagiK

I have found that I am starting to just have the tendancy to put more weight to the opinions expressed when they come from people who choose to post their location (even a nation would be better than nothing) ages and other info in their profile. While I know this can all be fictional info supplied by the person, it just seems to be a trend I noticed in my own mental processes.

Edit: this is not about reasoned well thought out posts, but is more about the types of posts that start popping up after things have devolved from the polite type posts.

[ 12-05-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 12-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I've thought the same thing, too. But, as a one-time victim of identity theft, I understand the reluctance.

Moreover, I sometimes wonder if I only want that info so I can know more about my opponent's weaknesses when I disagree. For instance, on today's thread, if I knew where some people were from when they bash the US government/political system, I may very well counter-bash with specific examples of their own government's failings. That would not prove my side, now would it, and it would be - as you have been kind enough to point out before - ad hominem.

So, as you said, I put more faith when people have that info. On the other hand, maybe it's my own prejudgments that make me do that.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
MagiK

TL, no disrespect to your profession is intended here but...that souned like something I would expect to hear from a litigator I just like to knwo about possible cultural differences that need to be taken into account. I also like to know the age, so I can tailor my responses appropriately.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Whose opinions am I more likely to listen to?

Those whose opinions are voiced respectfully and with tolerance towards others, and not like a bunch of raging rhinoceri on steroids. THAT will command my attention, and most likely, my respect for the poster, regardless from where they hail.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-05-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, have to agree with Saz, but, that said, I always look at the location of the person and am vaguely dissatisfied when I see something like "flying among the stars." (Absolutely no disrespect for Lioness intended. Anyway, I know where she lives: in Massachusetts.) Actually, that is one of my favorites, that's why it sprang to mind.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Whose opinions am I more likely to listen to?

Those whose opinions are voiced respectfully and with tolerance towards others, and not like a bunch of raging rhinoceri on steroids. THAT will command my attention, and most likely, my respect for the poster, regardless from where they hail.

-Sazerac
Saz that is of course true of all posts, but when things devolve into the scrum's that some times happen....this is the thing Im trying to dig out.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Moreover, I sometimes wonder if I only want that info so I can know more about my opponent's weaknesses when I disagree. For instance, on today's thread, if I knew where some people were from when they bash the US government/political system, I may very well counter-bash with specific examples of their own government's failings. That would not prove my side, now would it, and it would be - as you have been kind enough to point out before - ad hominem.
Hm? I thought that had something to do with discriminating against grits...oh, sorry; that's "ad hominy". [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Saz

P.S. On a more serious note: I personally don't understand why someone wouldn't want to put where they're from. Even a state or province, or country, would at least give some background info. You'd have to be downright paranoid to think that someone could dweomer your precise location just on the basis of your giving a vague regional reference...or that someone would even care to do so.

"S"

[ 12-05-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
MagiK

I edited the first post to more accurately reflect the actual question [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for pointing the deficiency out Saz [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2002, 01:49 PM   #9
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I agree pretty much completely with your first post here MagiK.

Now... i just wonder if my location is specific enough? do you all know where this is?
Old 12-05-2002, 01:50 PM   #10
MagiK

Is it near Vancouver at all Djin?