Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2001, 08:12 PM   #1
EdMan218
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i gotta cleric(lvl 19) and i wanna duel her to a fighter. i pick 4 short bow profinciencies cuz i got a cool bow. however, after i duel class...she still seems to retain the gayness of clerics and cant use the bow for some reason, could someone give me the "whole story" about how dualclassing works? and why is the kensai/mage so powerful???
Old 05-09-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
Halbred
The Magister

you only get the skills of both classes after your second class exceeds the level of the previous.

in other words you cannot use the bow until your fighter class reaches level 20.

i got a fighter/cleric i just started. First as a fighter so i get the hit point rolls.. then i immediately dual to cleric... (someone else does the same thing i forget who but i give all credit to them.) that way i only have to reach level 7 or 8 to get the perks of both classes =)
Old 05-09-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
Halbred
The Magister

btw the proficiencies have to be in blunt weapons for you to use them i think cause even when you can use both classes skills, the restrictions of cleric weapson stay i think... someone help me please i forget
Old 05-09-2001, 10:03 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Halbred:
btw the proficiencies have to be in blunt weapons for you to use them i think cause even when you can use both classes skills, the restrictions of cleric weapson stay i think... someone help me please i forget
Yup, just look at Anomen, no slashing or piercing weapon for him.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-09-2001, 10:09 PM   #5
Atomizer
Dungeon Master

Clerics (single, dual, OR multi) cannot use bows. Unfortunately, you're SOL. You can always use Shadowkeeper to try to "fix" your mistake.

Dual classing is basically this: you advance in one class, and then STOP. You start as another class at level 1. When your new class' level exceeds that of your old one, you have access to that class' abilities. For instance, you start as fighter at level 9, then change to mage. You currently function identically to that of a single class mage except for your greatly increased hit points. Once your mage reaches level 10, you can use the figher's abilities, i.e., his weapons, armor, etc.

It should be noted that certain class combinations retain the penalties of one of their classes. While a Fighter/Mage can wear armor (the fighter aspect), he cannot cast spells while wearing it (the mage aspect). A Cleric/Fighter (or anything else with a Cleric) will never be able to use weapons that a Cleric is normally prohibited from using. That's why I don't see the appeal of having a dual/multi classed character with a Cleric; a Cleric is almost as strong as the Warriors and can wear the heaviest armor, but cannot use bladed or piercing weapons. The only reason I can see having a Fighter/Cleric is for the extra hit points from the Fighter, and possibly for some combat bonuses. But as I said before, a Cleric's a pretty decent fighter in the first place.

A Kensai is very skilled with melee weapons. The only problem is, he can't wear armor of any sort. The Mage also shares this weakness; this is why dual classed Kensai/Mages are so popular; they have a collective weakness. If you dual the Kensai at level 9, you can still reach level 17 with the Mage, the maximum level for a single classed Mage in BG2. The Kensai/Mage gets excellent fighting ability, 9d10 worth of hit points, AND he is a full-powered Mage. That's why people play this character.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:43 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

But a kensai dualled to a mage will be pretty weak until he reaches mage level 10 right (assuming the dualling was done when the kensai was at level 9)?
So it's pretty tough 'protecting' him until he regains his kensai skills. In the meantime he's more of a liability than an asset, but I suppose at the end he'll be pretty powerful.

What if I created a non-human kensai and multiclassed him to a mage at the very beginning? Will this work?

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
Old 05-09-2001, 11:07 PM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Non-human cannot dual class.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-10-2001, 01:32 AM   #8
boran_blok
Dungeon Master

I'm playing solo as kensai/mage and I changed to mage when I was lvl 12 (abut 1.000.000 exp ...) the trick here is to collect an awfull huge amount of scrolls before you multi, and save all the easy quests for later (orphan and palladin in graveyard for instance) I am now lvl 12kensai lvl 21 mage (removed exp cap) and i'm still yet in chapter 2 (almost at the end of it but still ...) with the exp cap in place I would thus be maxed out ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-10-2001, 02:58 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord:
Non-human cannot dual class.

I know - that's why I said multi-class. Or can you only multi-class at character creation?

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
Old 05-10-2001, 03:04 AM   #10
Rikard

The nice thing about Kensai's is that they cannot wear armor
That's the only downside Kensai's have
but what the nices thing is
They CAN wear robes
thus you get all kensai bonnusses and you can tillm wear robes
that's why they are better then Fighter/mages
And why Fighter/Mages are so good
you figure that out for yourself