Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2000, 09:05 AM   #1
louissan

Hello from France...

After browsing through the messages & topics, I came upon
the conclusion that well ... there might be a problem
with you guys ...
BG2 is a great game, granted. So why are you spoiling it
with all these "I've-got-the-best-stats-you-ever-f..ing-saw"
and "My-wizard's-most-powerful-and-casts-level13-spells" or
whatever. This is sad, so sad.
The game is fun to play when your characters have WEAKNESSES
(you know the word, don't you?), just as in a REAL RPG game.

What's the point of wielding this two-handed +8 Holy Avenger sword
i wonder? None, absolutely none ... especially when it
throws 36-dice fireballs ..

In France, this illness is called : GROS BILLS, and it's very
common. Obviously, the net has the same problem.

If you guys try to play the most powerful characters in the game,
PLAY DIABLO 2, that's what it's for!!!!

Please ... I finished BG1 with a thief whose stats were STR 14,
DEX 16, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 6, CHA 17. Now I was happy when I
managed to get through hard times.

So long everyone!!!

Old 10-17-2000, 09:07 AM   #2
gunner

ditto....

Old 10-17-2000, 09:11 AM   #3
louissan

Thanks for the support

I'm mad .... sheeshhhh

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-17-2000, 09:20 AM   #4
Uncle Lester

Diablo 2 is boring, I played out that game for about 25 or 26 times, BG2 on the other hand is a pretty good challenge, because you don't have to own the biggest sword to play out the game like in Diablo2. And Diablo2 was just far too easy, in 4 days I recieved the title of Baron, so mutch for a challenge... point is that BG2 has more and better gameplay then any other RPG (except maybe for Wizards and Warriors) and it is pretty cool to play with a powerfull character although those characters can't become invincible because they ALWAYS have weaknesses like not able to cast spells or not able to wear armor and other things. So it really doesn't matter what level of character you have, you always have a weakness in this game.

Old 10-17-2000, 09:30 AM   #5
louissan

You don't seem to understand ...
But I figured it would be so!!

When i read about characters like:

Cleric/Fighter level 15/18
STR 18/00
DEX 18
CON 18
INT who cares?
WIS 18
CHA who cares?

My stomach makes strange noises.... such a
character, when equipped with magical items
and spells, is INVICIBLE...

Frankly, when you get six characters like the
one above, you get a tank/bulldozer team
that almost nothing can stop, which is, from
my point of view, totally uninteresting!!

Try playing BG2 with a team of normal-stated
characters and come back ... Besides, the race
for power is a thing I hate in RPGs ... but
maybe You don't have the same problem ...

Cheers

Old 10-17-2000, 09:40 AM   #6
gunner

when you go down the more moderate character road you don't spend a hour making a character and you get to start playing quicker. i must admit i was nearly kicking my computer to get it to install faster so i could get to playing straight away, so didn't get the time to make superman

Old 10-17-2000, 02:58 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

It really doesn't matter if you power it up or not. The game takes a lot of this into consideration. Have you ever met up with the NPC's at different times? Well, I played BGI without any mods. I played it more than once and picked Jaheira and what's his name the first time right away. But the second time, I came back and let them join much later. They adjust their level to close to where I was. Although I haven't really checked up on this in BG2, I am pretty sure it is still so. By outfitting your stats higher, you are kind of pushing more/ or harder fights on yourself. Doesn't really make it really that much easier, but it does let you try out some of the stuff that those lower stats won't let you. You get certain benefits for at least having a 15 in your prime stat. You get more experience points. By not accepting this, you are making things harder and if that's your shot, that's cool. I have somewhat limited time so I try to get as many bene's that I can. Makes for a quicker game usually, but not necessarily easier. Just less fluff. Regardless of whatever way it goes, as long as you find items on your own and solve puzzles on your own, what difference does it matter about your stats?
Old 10-17-2000, 03:16 PM   #8
Aegis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What's the bleeding point of surfing through the game and only finding huge treasure's and
downloading character editor's so you can easily just play along.

My charachter is weak in some situation's and you have to change your attack strategy once in a while - that's the fun part right!

Bleed evil cheaters bleed i will have your
hart!!

Aegis
Old 10-17-2000, 08:35 PM   #9
ArchMage1

So, now we know how you enjoy a game more. Great.

The thing about role playing is, you get to be somebody that you are not. If that means you make an invincible character so be it. None of us are invincible in real life, so it is fun to make a super hero and play him in a game.

Yes, your thief sounds like he was challenging. Good for you, it sounds like you had fun.

Personally, I like to make characters that have a few high stats and then some average ones. He is larger than life in some areas, but not others, which helps to facilitate role playing. So I guess you and I are in agreement on that.

However, please don't tell me how to enjoy my game and that I am playing it wrong. Please don't tell me that I shouldn't have fun with the magic items I find. And don't criticize me for having fun when it isn't harming you. Everyone has their own style. In America, we have a phrase for such presumptuousness, its called BEING RUDE.

And if you didn't notice you are bragging too. Bragging about playing with a super character isn't any worse than bragging about how much better a game player you are because you play with a character with weaknesses.

Old 10-17-2000, 08:59 PM   #10
Pimpdaddy

I agree 100 percent. I played Ultima Online for two and a half years before finally quitting, because my character was maxxed out in all of his stats and could kill pretty much anything easily. It gets boring when the game is no longer a challenge. My funnest days were when I was a newbie and just trying to survive.