Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089927/

Truly this should be on the top 100 films of all time. It has everything a movie needs to be succesful. A good plot, great emotional depth (who didn't feel sad when Apollo died, or when Balboa fought the greased up swede?) and best of all, it features Balboa (Balboa>all, != God).

The movie starts of with a small intro from Rocky III (which automatically makes a top 10 best movies ever), and movies into the depressing fight between Creed and Drago. After that, Rocky goes to Siberia, and trains old skool, breaking rocks and splitting wood. The final (hearpounding) fight follows, and no dry eye was left in the house.

Truly a powerhouse film.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Get me a barf bag - ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

5.2 out of 10 (as your link rates it) is pretty much spot on. A mediocre output that was pitched to the right market at the right time. Cold war - American = good, Russian = bad. It relied so much on the typecasting of the cold war to generate good box office turnouts in the west. A formula crafted for monetary success, but let's not get carried away that there was anything great in the "moofie".

It gave action and acceptable entertainment. It provided a patriotic spark of American pride that most would admit touched mainly those in the US but it carried along to other western souls like us that lived in those years under the fear and threat of the "nasty commies"

It typecast the American as heartwarming and overcoming odds and waving the flag a lot. It had him training in the worst of conditions against all odds. The Russian had the best of everything and to make things worse they made him into a steroid cheater prepared to do anything to win. You only have to look at Flo-Jo or Mark McGuire or any of the sprint stars caught up in Balco to know that that cheating is worldwide and not Ruskie bad and Yankee good.

It was a fairytale dude - and they all lived happily ever after (well - all but Apollo). Let's not get carried away and believe that it was better than 5.2/10. Sure it was to some people, and to you it rated higher, but to me they seem to have the score pretty much spot on.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

<font color=plum>I like the Rocky movies (except for #5). And while III and IV were probably the most popular, they didn't have NEAR the depth and character development of the first two.

The original Rocky was groundbreaking in so many ways. First of all, our "hero" wasn't that nice of a guy. Rocky Balboa was an enforcer for a local crime boss and he was a dirty fighter in the underground fights he fought in. The character development and storyline were done in great detail.

Finally, the "underdog" gets a shot at the championship and....LOSES!!!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] How many movies have the underdog going up against overwhelming odds - and falling short??? Not many.

While I enjoy watching the final fights in Rocky III and IV, I have to agree that <font color=orange>Davros'</font> comments were spot on - as is the rating of 5.2 for the movie. Rocky III was cheesy enough, but Rocky IV was nothing more than "Hooray for USA - Boo for USSR". Effective at the box office, but certainly not deserving to be listed as one of the greatest films of all time.</font>
Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You all fail to see my sarcasm.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
You all fail to see my sarcasm.
I had to rethink and rewrite my first reply because I was worried it was to much attack on the man (you) instead of the film .

Before it was deleted it used lines like "I read your post and feel that somehow somewhere I must be missing the implied sarcasm. Surely it must be there - I look and look, but I just can't find it. Either you are an immensely talented "subtitler" that has hitherto kept his talents well hidden, or you have one of the worst tastes in movies that it has been my misfortune to encounter".

Glad indeed am I to hear that you were indeed being subtletitle.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

It was a fairytale dude - and they all lived happily ever after (well - all but Apollo).
You obviously never read the book Rocky V (of which the movie was loosely based), he was severely brain damaged, his agent embezzled everything he had, and when he went to get back into fighting, he died.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Davros:

It was a fairytale dude - and they all lived happily ever after (well - all but Apollo).
You obviously never read the book Rocky V (of which the movie was loosely based), he was severely brain damaged, his agent embezzled everything he had, and when he went to get back into fighting, he died. </font>[/QUOTE]Whoa, Rocky died!?
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

In the 5th book, not the movie. They didn't have the guts to kill him off in the movie.

But it is missing a point about Rocky, one that is especially prevalent in Rocky IV, the man can take a beating that would quite literally kill anyone else, and still come out swinging, his story is really nothing more than that, the tale of a guy who got his ass whupped, but still kept going.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #9
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Well I know in the movie he didn't sie [img]smile.gif[/img] Just never read the books.

One of the things I liked about Rocky I is that it's the only Sports "underdog" movie I've seen where the protagonist actually loses!
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

I cried the other night watching Rocky IV, AGAIN. I always start crying when he wins the fight and then just burst into tears when he gives the speech.

"We can all change!"

I'm welling up just thinking about it.
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote