Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 04:13 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Texas has been known to have some pretty strange pronunciations for its various cities and towns. "Montague" is pronounced "Mon-TAYG", Alvord is pronounced "Al-VOYD". One of the strangest, however, is the town of Mexia. It's pronounced "Muh-HAY-yuh" by the locals.

Two travelers, one of them a newcomer to Texas, were approaching the town of Mexia.

"We're getting close to 'Muh-HAY-yuh'," the Texan said.
"Getting close to WHERE?" the other said.
"Muh-HAY-yuh," the Texan said, pointing to the road sign.
The other traveler began to laugh uproariously. "That's not the way that's pronounced! Anyone can see it's Mexia!" (Mecks-ee-yah)
"Not around here it ain't," the Texan said. "It's 'Muh-HAY-yuh'."
The two proceeded to have quite an argument about the town's pronunciation as they drove into Mexia. Pulling into a local Dairy Queen, they decided to stop for lunch.
"I'm going to ask the counter person how this town is pronounced once and for all," the second traveler said. "If anyone, a local should know how their town is pronounced."
After placing their order, the traveler asked the counterboy, "Just how DO you pronounce the name of the place we're in?"
The counterboy looked at the man as if he were an idiot, then leaned down over the counter, gazing into the man's eyes.

"Repeat after me, suh," he said. "DAY-REE-KWEEEEN."

------------------
Old 08-28-2001, 04:24 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Texas used to be a part of the Mexican country, until that war thing...anyway, the Hispanic influence is still very strong there, and so the pronuncation of those places you mentioned are correct. That is the original pronunciation. Anyone else who wants to americanize those names are doing it wrong, for those are not English based names.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Old 08-28-2001, 04:32 PM   #3
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

LMAO .... that is freakin hilarious ...... even funnier for me cuz I worked at Dairy Queen for almost 3 years .... that just brightened up my day Saz
Old 08-29-2001, 02:05 AM   #4
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Hmm, frankly I think texas shouldnt have had the war. Its practicly mexico. Beside the big towns (Houston, Dallas ect) you probley couldnt tell the diffrence between Texas and Mexico, even one of Texas biggest towns, if not the biggest, San Antonio, has a very very very strong Mexican influence.

Of course I could be wrong, probley am, I have never been to mexico, but I have read numorus books on it. Texas and Mexico are alot alike...

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way to....
Old 08-29-2001, 07:14 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

And a lot of the place names in Texas and Mexico (and the word Mexico itself) come from the Aztec language.
As does the best word used in the English language - Chocolate!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 08-29-2001).]