Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2001, 07:12 PM   #31
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Where does all this sudden concern with spam stem from ? Just to save server space ?

Spam has been here from the beginning and always will be and the best strategy against it is a) common sense, on the end of trying to avoid it - unfortunately not all are gifted with it or used to apply it - and b) ignoring it, minding your own business and sticking to the threads that are of interest to yourself.

But Ziroc, with all due respect, I would strongly advice against getting into the "gray zone" of categorizing threads whose spam character is up for debate ! A couple of questionable judgements on your part in that area, could damage the board much quicklier and more severely, by alienating many people and poisoning the atmosphere, than any amount of spam could ever do. Just take the "song continuation thread" you labelled as spam as a perfect example: I have never participated in that thread nor I am generally interested in that type of topic, but I strongly contest your assessment that that is spam. It is rather a game which many people participated in and enyojed and what could be wrong with that ? So, if it is not utterly inevitable for technical reasons, I am not aware of, I really ought to counsel extreme restraint on that subject as censorship of any kind is the death nail for a place as diverse as this one. Like every long-time member I know very well how much you care about this, your forum and that you go out of your way to improve and maintain it - I am really grateful for your efforts, but sometimes restraint is just more called for than for any kind of action.

Sorry, if I jumped the gun and read more into this than there actually is, but from your posts here I really got the impression that you have adopted a very unwise - IMHO - change to a more "hands-on" policy.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 06-14-2001, 07:12 PM   #32
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Its the screen radiation get up back away slowly, then smash it with a baseball bat or perhaps not.

------------------
Old 06-14-2001, 09:54 PM   #33
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

The ONLY thing I can think of that I can object to is threads like the Word association thread where the posts escalte far too fast and require not much thought if any for the answer. It merely requires any words to just be typed out for a post and that is what spams the thread so fast. I do not have a difference in opinion depending on who started the thread or not. BUt I just think that although the song thread is spam too it does take some thought and cannot be spammed up as easily. Whereas the three word story is basically your spam heaven.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."
Old 06-14-2001, 10:25 PM   #34
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, I guess I'll just mozey on over to the "poll" place and see if they have a song connection game thread to play. I've always loved spam since I was a little girl.

Mammawlin

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 06-14-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 11:41 AM   #35
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OK, I want to say something, because I think Ziroc's getting a bit of an unfair bollocking here.

First of all, moderators are moderators because they are expected to exercise good judgment on what is spam and what is not. (No-one said our job was easy - damned if you do, damned if you don't.) I think that people might be thinking that because it is fun and makes you laugh it is ok - that is not always the case. Probably because this has evolved from being a pure message board which is supposed to be a repository for information to something in between a forum and a chat room, there are a lot of non-discussion type threads here. Spamming groups have a tendency to grow very cliquey, and exclude those who are not in that clique from participating.

We're not going to go and categorize every single thread, that would be impossible. In fact, there are a lot of threads here that would be nailed down on many other boards but aren't here because we think it's good to have those conversation types of posts here. You are expected to exercise good judgment when it comes to deciding what to post, and no-one will nail you to the wall if you make a genuine mistake, so don't stress. And none of this restriction of your freedom of speech stuff, either. I don't think we censor a lot here. I can count the number of threads that I have closed on two hands, most of which were due to trolls.

Bad spam can quickly grow out of control if it is not nipped in the bud. Ask any member who also posts on other boards and find out their opinion on spam. There was a forum called BGDungeon that had very much a similar problem which unfortunately isn't here anymore.

Finally - constructive criticism is more than welcome and gives us another perspective, but at the end of the day please keep in mind that Ziroc OWNS this site, and HE pays for server space, not us. So question by all means, but do so in a courteous and polite way - and abide by his wishes at the end of the day.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 12:16 PM   #36
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Where does all this sudden concern with spam stem from ? Just to save server space ?

Spam has been here from the beginning and always will be and the best strategy against it is a) common sense, on the end of trying to avoid it - unfortunately not all are gifted with it or used to apply it - and b) ignoring it, minding your own business and sticking to the threads that are of interest to yourself.

But Ziroc, with all due respect, I would strongly advice against getting into the "gray zone" of categorizing threads whose spam character is up for debate ! A couple of questionable judgements on your part in that area, could damage the board much quicklier and more severely, by alienating many people and poisoning the atmosphere, than any amount of spam could ever do. Just take the "song continuation thread" you labelled as spam as a perfect example: I have never participated in that thread nor I am generally interested in that type of topic, but I strongly contest your assessment that that is spam. It is rather a game which many people participated in and enyojed and what could be wrong with that ? So, if it is not utterly inevitable for technical reasons, I am not aware of, I really ought to counsel extreme restraint on that subject as censorship of any kind is the death nail for a place as diverse as this one. Like every long-time member I know very well how much you care about this, your forum and that you go out of your way to improve and maintain it - I am really grateful for your efforts, but sometimes restraint is just more called for than for any kind of action.

Sorry, if I jumped the gun and read more into this than there actually is, but from your posts here I really got the impression that you have adopted a very unwise - IMHO - change to a more "hands-on" policy.
Sorry you feel that way, but you have no idea how hard it is to run a forum. Until then, you shouldn't judge me. I've been running this forum the same way for years now, and have yet to poison anything , I have been strick on spam since the new forum too, this is nothing new. It's sad that you few guys think so lowly of me, I though I was doing a good job? Ah well.. can't please everyone..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-15-2001, 12:23 PM   #37
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Sorry you feel that way, but you have no idea how hard it is to run a forum. Until then, you shouldn't judge me. I've been running this forum the same way for years now, and have yet to poison anything , I have been strick on spam since the new forum too, this is nothing new. It's sad that you few guys think so lowly of me, I though I was doing a good job? Ah well.. can't please everyone..

You are doing one hell of a job here Z and anyone who tells you otherwise you just tell your little overlord buddy and he will send out his big nasty henchman after them

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."

[This message has been edited by AzureWolf (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 12:55 PM   #38
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Just follow the courage of your convictions, Z! Most of us are here and stick around because we like what you've done for us. This is kind of what being a politician is like, I guess.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 12:59 PM   #39
Psychedelic Buttafly
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Just follow the courage of your convictions, Z! Most of us are here and stick around because we like what you've done for us. This is kind of what being a politician is like, I guess.

I agree!!!
Tah Ziroc

Old 06-15-2001, 01:05 PM   #40
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
BIG Z !!!

I think many folks are "spoiled" because they've never seen what it's like out there. I've said it many times, and I will continue to say it. This is the BEST board I've ever been associated with.

"In fact, I started a thread about it. Wanta hear it, here it goes..."

------------------