Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm creating a warrior custom character but I'm undecided about skills. What's your opinion about these skills? correct me if I'm wrong

Block: I think this skill is automatic. Sounds good but I wonder if it increases fast?

Armorer: I don't understand this skill. It lets you get lesser damage?

Medium Armor: I'll wear only heavy armor cause heavy armor should be best. So no need to med armor?

Longblade, Axe, Spear, Shortblade, Blunt: I'll take only longblade and blunt. Longblade for general combat. Blunt for monsters who are resistant to edged weapons (like skeletons)

Athletics: It increases fast, it's on my list

Acrobatics: Too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Merchant: Will be useful

Marksman: ranged combat is cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

Security: locks and traps always scares me

*one more thing. I noticed that you can't adjust ability points? I mean STR END PER etc and I can change my major and minor skills but cannot adjust my misc skills why?

* is it possible to beat the game with non-spellcaster character?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
Rhea
Drow Warrior

You don't really need both medium and heavy armor, although both can be developed.

For my major skills, I try to choose 4 out of the 5 that belong to the area of specialization I've chosen. Then the 5th is usually my weapon of choice.

For my minor skills I start with my armor (although this would be a major skill for you); then I try to add skills from the other two areas - for instance, my mage might have security and something else from the stealth area; then armorer and block. That leaves me yet another slot for my area of expertise (magic).

The reason I do this is that I've noticed my characters level up a lot faster when they have skills spread over all three areas (probably because you get to train with more people who can level you up).

And remember that you can still train in other skills, even if they aren't one of your major or minor skills. I always train some in heavy armor, med armor and unarmored - unarmored because sometimes you have a piece of armor break in a dungeon and it comes in handy; med and heavy in case I want to use a specific piece and don't want the penalty. I also train some in unarmed (in case my sword breaks - it's happened!).

So in other words, expend most of your energies on your class-related skills, but pick up some from the other areas - and if possible, spread your skills out so that they cover different attributes (thus getting you those wonderful multiples when you level up).

None of this is necessary - the game is very flexible, and you can choose whatever major and minor skills you want and still have a great time.

Sneak, acrobatics and athletics are invaluable, but easily developed without wasting a major or minor slot on them.

I've tried marksman and there are a lot of cool projectile weapons in the game, but I guess I'm basically a hack 'n slash kind of gal, because I always ending up going for the melee weapons and the magic.

[ 02-03-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Rhea ]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
B_part
Quintesson

Warrior?

Heavy armor
Block (increases fast)
Longblade
Athletics
Security (to open the maaaaaaany locks around)

Acrobatics Mercantilism Marksman Sneak and Armorer as minor

Heavy armor because it's the best: the major downside is that it's heavy, but the advantage is that it's impervious to hits and there are great enchanted items around
Block because carrying a shield will save you from most hits and also because it develops fast and raises your level
Longblade since longblades are the best weapons in the game - and you can use them against anything, including skeletons
Athletics because this increases your running speed and is needed to compensate the fact that you are carrying a heavy armor during the endless trips in the country
Security because there are hundreds of locks around and you cannot cast unlocking magics

Acrobatics help you jump and counterbalances the weight you are carrying
Mercantilism 4 money and for easy leveling (just bargain a bit every time you sell sthg)
Marksman since it helps with cliffracers (annoying flying critters) and also will keep you leveling up after your longblade skill has reache maximum (20 levels or so)
Sneak because it can be useful
Armorer to repair armor and items - invaluable since repairer can be really costly but repair hammers come very cheap. Also damaged items will be significantly less efficient and you don't want your sword to deal half damage.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
Rageheart
Emerald Dragon

yeah sneak istn' that good though, i don't use it that much. All the rest is pretty good
Old 02-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

It should be possible to finish the game without a spellcaster, since melee is much easier than using magic. But, even a fighter in heavy armor can train for magic skills and become a spell caster. The character class only matters in the beginning of the game. If you are out for powergaming, nothing will stop you from creating a character with max skills in every area.

On the other hand, with lots of money and some weak spells, it is possible to make enchanted items with the most important spell effects (mark, recall, both interventions, sanctary and levitate).

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Ok I got it, I'll choose these skills

Longblade
Block
Heavy Armor
Armorer

Marksman
Athlethics
Acrobatics
Security
Mercantile

one slot left, should I take a magic skill? Which one you prefer?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 02-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

or should I take restoration and alteration, dump marksman skill?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

take restoration, those healing spell will come in handy.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:37 AM   #9
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
or should I take restoration and alteration, dump marksman skill?
Restoration is fine, since you will need it quite often. But alteration is not necessary for your character. For levitate and maybe water breathing some enchanted Items are much more usefull, since you won´t need them to often and the skill will raise very slowly (except you pay money for training).
And Levitate is one of the harder spells from the school of alteration. So if you buy a the standard spell, you will need a alteration skill of 35 or more to have a decent chance to cast it.

You should keep marksman (or take destruction instead), because it comes in very handy to have some distant attacks.
But for your fighter, marksman would be better, since you probalbly won´t have to much mana points.

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:28 PM   #10
Rolandthemad
Manshoon

My advice is don`t get any magic if you plan to be a true warrior. Save magic for a magic character. Develop your strength, endurance, and speed instead (remember you`ll only get three choices per level up). Without restoration and magic it will be a little tougher at the beginning but about mid way you`ll be able to afford lots of potions and you`ll be fine. Also without magic you won`t have to develop your intellegence so more points to others (be a dumb barbarian! hah!)

I never used block for my warrior character. Most of the good weapons are two handed so you can`t carry a shield. Try opting for unarmored or another weapon class instead. There are some decent blunt weapons.. also some nice spears..

In regards to merchantile - this the bugged skill! DO NOT GET MERCHANTILE. KEEP THIS SKILL LOW AS POSSIBLE. Sure you can buy stuff for less - but you`ll also get paid less! A suggestion is to change it to speechcraft. This will allow you to talk up some merchants disposition and then you`ll get better deals.
Rolandthemad is offline   Reply With Quote