Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 04:07 PM   #111
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Thought this one deserved to be seen by some of the newer members of our forum. It's an Ironworks classic.
That's why I'm bumping it having spat tea all over my keyboard *again*
besides, might let ppl know that they should just drop some of the things they're lumping around. I remember keeping seventeen assorted keys in my bag 'cos I was afraid they might be useful, ditched 'em just before the ToB baddy *blush*
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:22 PM   #112
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Ah, yes. Fond memories of this thread..... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Copying the URL down now, to be included in my list of "Ironworks Classics" links.....
Old 11-23-2002, 12:29 AM   #113
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Imagine my surprise at the resurrection of this thread. Good to know there were good intentions with this one. Although personally I think it would be nice to inform the moderators beforehand for permission for raise such threads. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:28 AM   #114
Charlie
Lord Ao

My Oh My,

This is still doing the rounds, nice to see people still enjoying it. Cheers for the bump Memnoch.

Kaltia. I'm in SE London. Where do you hail from?
Dundee...What on Earth are you babbling on about????????????

[ 11-23-2002, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #115
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well, this was a buried thread. Generally, thread necromancy is disencouraged, unless there is a good reason for doing so. I have seen several forums disrupted because people kept on raising dead threads, replying to people that no longer exist( metaphorically speaking) and generally pushing down other threads that are more current.

I advocate using links to cross-reference old threads, than to bump the dead thread itself, but like I said, unless there is a valid reason.

Personally, I do not mind this thread being bumped up because it serves a purpose in a humorous way. However, I have to stress to the other members that this does not give them carte blanche to bump up any dead thread they please.

When a fellow Moderator does the bumping, I have faith he/she did it with good reason( and this has always been the case so far). When a fellow member does it though, the reasons for doing so has to be examined, so the safest way is to consult with one of the relevant Moderators for permission.

All it takes is a Private Message and a bit of patience. There is nothing to lose to ask first. [img]smile.gif[/img] Am I clearer on the issue now?

In fact, you may not even need to send a PM. If the topic pops up in a thread, just ask there and then.

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

ADD] To avoid some confusion, my prior post was directed to Kaltia. Memnoch bumped this thread months ago. Kaltia bumped it up around yesterday.

[ 11-23-2002, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-23-2002, 03:41 AM   #116
Charlie
Lord Ao

"Generally, thread necromancy is disencouraged", ....by whom?

My friend let's not get off on the wrong foot. I know you are a very, very helpful and highly regarded member of this board. What I would say is that whilst I don't necessarily agree with all you say (particularly as regards soloing) I don't impose my thoughts as to what is proper and correct upon you. I would ask that you don't preach to me (or others) as regards the same. As I say, you are no doubt a much loved and respected member of this community, you have put very much in and this I will vouch for. Remember though that there were those of us that put in (and many, many in front of me) that helped make the site what it is, the site that you visit and moderate today. We're all friends here, when instruction and advice is required then the mod's have always been on top of their game, but too much is too much.

No offence my friend.

This was a humorous thread....keep smiling.

(EDIT) Modified accordingly.

[ 11-23-2002, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 11-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #117
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Charlie, this is a great thread and I can certainly see why it is so popular.

However, I don't think there is any reason for you to get worked up about Dundee's post. He was talking to Kaltia, for a start, and did not in any way belittle this thread. He was simply doing his job as a moderator and advising that thread resurrection is not the done thing.

Thread resurrection in it's worst form can be really annoying. For example, if a someone posed a question over a year ago and got no replies, replying to it will only annoy other users, as the person who asked the question has surely either solved their problem or thrown their game away in frustration, vowing never to return to Ironworks.

Your thread is certainly a 'classic' and you should be respected for it. So, don't worry about it, just remember that Dundee posted with the best intentions.

[img]tongue.gif[/img] So let's all make up and enjoy this great thread! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:06 AM   #118
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Well said, pcgiant. Bumping an old thread is not in itself a bad thing, especially if the thread is a "classic" thread. This one is and I don't think anyone, including Dundee, is complaining that it got bumped up.

I have bumped up a number of old, classic threads that I feel still have a lot of relevance to people today (including some of my old ones [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] )

Having said that, bumping an old thread for no reason, especially an old, inane one, and especially when it's a) under the pretext of answering a question that someone asked 2 years ago; or b) the old "BUMP! Hehehehe" style of bumping threads, is definitely not on and I think this is what Dundee is warning against. No harm done. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 04:08 AM   #119
Charlie
Lord Ao

Yes, I think you are correct my friend. I'm not worked up at all and I certainly meant no offence. This was a humorous thread and hopefully people can work past this. My sincerest apologies to you Dundee if I have upset your evening. We're all people...we're all different.

Take care.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:27 AM   #120
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Yes, I think you are correct my friend. I'm not worked up at all and I certainly meant no offence. This was a humorous thread and hopefully people can work past this. My sincerest apologies to you Dundee if I have upset your evening. We're all people...we're all different.
Take care.
Nah, no offense taken. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have had fond memories of this thread, and it is one of the earliest ones I remember. Perhaps I should have phrased my first post better on hindsight.

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]