Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 02:03 PM   #11
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I am getting my third PC in some twelve days from now. It's custom built, as are the other two. I would always go for custom built. The advantages are:
-you built it, you know what's inside and why
-with brand name computers you lose warrancy when you change your computer's settings
-it's cheaper
-more options
The only brands I'd go for are Apple and Dell.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #12
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:

Ive heard Alienware's Tech support is the best. apparantly if you cant get a program running on your machine, they will make sure it does!

plus the cases look great
Old 12-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Thoran
Galvatron

For home use based on my personal experience:
Dell is excellent, Gateway is good, Compaq is acceptable, Toshiba is good (laptops), HP is unacceptable, Apple is excellent, Home made can be good to very good if you don't mind working on computers.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #14
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Gateway, Dell, Fujitsu, Toshiba, and IBM are all good brands, but if I had to pick just one, it'd be Fujitsu. Their machines are amazing quality-wise, unfortunately they carry a price tag to match. I agree with HP/Compaq (they are the same company) not being terribly reliable, though it should be said that they are pretty good value; they're often cheaper than other brands, but I guess it does show in terms of quality and reliability.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I used to like ACER, until I found out that they usually overcharge their computers ( near $4500 )and repair services ( $350 for a new modem and 150 for labour cost? shesh! ). Plus I have to wait a long time just for them to fix my computer ( 1 month to wait just for them to replace my modem ).

I switch to using cloned computer ( no brand computers ). it's cheap ( only $2200 ), plenty of spare parts just incase your computer got problem and super fast repairs ( tell them what's wrong and they instantly fix your computer within an hour ).

[ 12-12-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 AM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

from what i have seen with alienware, i wish they we had one here... i just drool at their PCs... man... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have mine like Harkoliar's custom made... it's better since you know what enters your PC, and it is usually the things you want to be in there. [img]smile.gif[/img] Better that way in my opinion... but if you don't want to go through all the hassle then go for Alienware... hehehe
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 AM   #17
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

My last PC was bought on-line from a UK firm called Mesh. Apart from being a bit macho and doubling it's memory to 1 gig, I've not had to open the case in over a year of trouble free operation [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 12-13-2003, 05:29 AM   #18
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Dells are great I have to say. I was skeptical at first but they truly are built for endurance. Dell also live up to their warranty and there is no messing around when it comes to calling on it. I remember my original video card was a bit faulty and so I called Dell, told 'em the story and within 24 hours had a new one delivered to me and the other one taken back - no shipping charge or anything.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:37 AM   #19
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
You dare utter the name of Apple in a PC thread! *destroys you*

Coincidently, one of my best friend's best friend just bought a Alienware, and was checking how it's build specs were coming. I caught a glimpse of the price tag...$2270! Little much if you ask me, but if you don't have to pay, then who cares
Old 12-13-2003, 10:19 AM   #20
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

*gets resurrected by a random nameless high-level cleric*
Alienware and Dell are awesome, but Apple is...
It's like ATi versus nVidia. Apple is ATi, being weaker than nVidia/PC in every spec, but somehow, through great enrineering and architecture, their stuff is always better. But I'd always go for a home-made PC rather than Apple.