Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The way I see it, you've got 2 choices...

1: Get NWN and shadows of undetide OR

2: wait for PSO Episode 3
Old 05-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

In case you don't know, PSO Episode 3 is Phantasy Star Online, a great anime based RPG...I've only played the one for the Dreamcast, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend has it, so I never got to play it again. But I'm not sure whether its out for the PC...

Dungeon Siege - gets really boring really fast...at least, IMO it does. Nothing but hack 'n' slash.

NWN - I prefer single player games, so this was a dissapointing for me, as the main plot sucks.

IWD2 - Its ok, but I got bored...

Sorry, all the suggestions I can offer. I have to go. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Let us know what you chose!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
daeomer
Manshoon

I also have one other choice that I had yet to consider. Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Heroes 3 was my second favorite game of all time, but I have heard limited good things about 4. Is this the case? The graphics look pretty good...but have they changed game play dramatically?

Also with Morrowind should I buy Tribunal at the same time? I hear there are a number of benefits to having them both installed. Maybe I should wait until they come out in a package...

Anyway thanks to all who have responded so far.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If you liked Heroes of Might and Magic 3 you may also be interested in Age of Wonders I and II. I enjoyed Age of Wonders and have heard only good things about Age of Wonders II. The first Age of Wonders is probaly dirt cheep by now.

I didn't buy Heroes of Might and Magic 4 because I did not hear good things about it. I think 3 is the best of the series and I didn't want to soil what I thought of the series.

[ 05-21-2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:36 PM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I really liked NWN, haven't gotten to play MP yet, but the endless, or gettting that way, number of mods out there make it great. I initially ran it on a Win 98 2e system with a 32 meg GeForce2, and 256 mb of ram, and only a 600mhz processor. It ran ok, but runs much better on my new machine.
IWD2 was extremely linear, but was good for at least one good time through it, and there were a few good puzzles to figure out as well. I'd buy it again.
I have pre ordered the SOU expansion for NWN as well. Those are my suggestions.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #16
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

my pic is dungeon seige, have it and love it, plus it has a different online game than the offline one so you never get bored...and you can also build your own games so that is what i would recomend
Old 05-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #17
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
If you liked Heroes of Might and Magic 3 you may also be interested in Age of Wonders I and II. I enjoyed Age of Wonders and have heard only good things about Age of Wonders II. The first Age of Wonders is probaly dirt cheep by now.
Now that's a good advise [img]smile.gif[/img] AoW is cheap and great. If you'd rather have AoW2, you should maybe wait for the standalone expansion thingy Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic...
Old 05-22-2003, 04:25 AM   #18
Vampire

You'll want Neverwinter nights for some 3D experience.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:39 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by daeomer:
I also have one other choice that I had yet to consider. Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Heroes 3 was my second favorite game of all time, but I have heard limited good things about 4. Is this the case? The graphics look pretty good...but have they changed game play dramatically?

Also with Morrowind should I buy Tribunal at the same time? I hear there are a number of benefits to having them both installed. Maybe I should wait until they come out in a package...

Anyway thanks to all who have responded so far.
Yeah I've got Heroes of Might and Magic 4 - it's pretty good - there are two MAJOR changes to the gameplay:

1) You can now have more than one hero in an army and the heroes actually get to fight in the battle and can die in battle - they can also kick some serious ass at higher levels, taking out whole armies alone. This gives endless tactical possibilities, for a start, taking out the enemy hero erases all the bonuses he grants.

2) You now have to make choices about what buildings to build cos you can't get all the creatures in a castle at once. All creatures now have at least one special ability.

My only gripe is that the sounds aren't as satisfying as in HOMM2 and HOMM3.

And I guess you meant Warcraft 3 not 2. Two is way old! WC3 is also very good - worth getting if you have people to play multiplayer with. The single player game is GOOD but this sort of game really only excels in MP.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #20
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Dungeon Siege is good for younger kids. It's fairly easy to follow along and not overly complex or hard. It has great graphincs and lots of neat monsters. It has no role-playing at all! Reminds me a bit of Diablo 2. My 10 year old son loved it. Sadly enough, I'm less than impressed with Neverwinter as a single player game. The inability to have a party kind of ruins it. You also can't control your mage/cleric hirelings spellcasting. Just like NPC's, they blow all their spells at once and then are pretty useless. I have Morrowind, but have yet to play it. It's a resource hog though! IWD2 is OK. I can't say I'm the fondest of 3rd ed. rules either. Never played warcraft.