Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
Two video cards you say? Now that changes things. Is one built on to the motherboard and the other a card? Is it two sperate cards? Do you have one disabled? If so how do you have it disabled? If it is build onto the motherboard you need to disable it in the bios. If it is another card in a slot you should remove it. Do you know what two are they and which one are you currently using? Is this a Dell or Compaq or Gateway system?

Granamere

PS I was not here because I have been rebuilding a Sun Blade to get Weblogic up and running on. So if it takes me awhile to respond that is what I am doing.
ok, now we are getting somewhere, yes the main card is built into the motherboard, but I do not know how to disable it, thatis part of the problem, how do I get into the BIOS?
I am using the Nvidia right now, the other is the the default, Intel(R)82810 graphocs controller
Old 09-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #12
GForce

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
well i'm no techie, but i would probably go to windows update and see if it can detect any new updates. if one of those updates is related to the drivers, then download it. that way your PC and video card would be up to date. I think. might be worth a try.
never *Ever* allow windows update to touch your drivers. the windows auto update facility had been known to termainaly bork peoples drivers, and force a reinstall of windows. its fine for security patches and other gubbins, but not drivers.

what virsions of DirectX does it think are installed? you may be able to get an uninstaller floating around the internet.
[/QUOTE]i've been using the windows update and it just goes thru the normal routine of scanning my PC looking for any updates. so far, it has done what its suppose to do and well enough. it has not messed up my PC. in the last update, it had scanned and had available video card driver updates and i've downloaded and installed those without any glitches; as well as patches and such. its also where i got the curent DX. windows update works fine for me.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #13
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

IIRC, you can either disable the onboard graphics through the BIOS screen or via the device manager. Possibly one way to find out is to find out which motherboard you have and have a look at the manufacturer's website.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #14
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

If you Right Click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Display adapters. Do you see both of your video cards? You could Right click on the Intel one and disable it. That should work. Make sure you are clicking on the Intel one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

[ 09-16-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #15
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

what is the BIOS and how do I get there???
Old 09-16-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
If you Right Click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Display adapters. Do you see both of your video cards? You could Right click on the Intel one and disable it. That should work. Make sure you are clicking on the Intel one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
that did not work, it did not give me a display option :S
oh never mind on that, found it, yes, it shows both, how do I get rid of the intel?
is it safe to click on the unistal?

[ 09-16-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #17
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

The BIOS is what you see what you first boot up your computer. If you are running a generic system while it is counting up memory you should beable to hit the "DEL" key and get into it. If you are running a Dell the key to get into it is normally "F2" on a Compaq it is normally "F10". Most systems will show you on the screen what key you need to hit to get into it. Some systems will call it setup instead of the BIOS. The catch is once you get int there each system has a different layout. Most use your arrow keys to get around a very few use your mouse. Do not change anything in there just to see what happens. Only see if there is a way to disable the on board video. Also some on board video can only be disabled by changing a jumper on the motherboard itself. So back to the question what type of computer do you have.

Granamere
Old 09-16-2003, 04:44 PM   #18
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Do not uninstall it. The next time you reboot it would try to reinstall. [img]smile.gif[/img] In the Device Manager when you right click on the driver you should get an option of disable that is what you want.

Also if you get the properties of the video card at the bottom it should have a drop down that says "Use this device (enable)" Change that to "Do not use this device(disable)" either one should work. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

[ 09-16-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:46 PM   #19
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ok, it is disabled thanks, now we are trying to reinstall the game, maybe that helped, but at least it did get rid of the second display driver anyway
Old 09-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #20
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

OK did it work? Did it work? [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey I gave you more than 6 minutes to install it and let us know before I asked! [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope you are playing it now and having fun!

Granamere