Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

*UPDATED* See latest post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I posted a similar topic last month, but am posting a kind up "update" thread.

This site has a comprehensive list of digital cameras available in Australia.

I want something with these specs:

2 - 3.2 megapixels
3x optical zoom
Accepts all cards

Which camera (with similar specs) is the best? (refering to the linked site)

I'm thinking of getting an Olympus, but still unsure.

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-13-2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 09-12-2003, 07:21 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

Congrats on your 2 years with Iron works!

I'm in the market for a dig *camera that is not a didgeridoo * So thanks for the link [img]tongue.gif[/img] The only advice I can perhaps offer is to stick with a big name brand, the chances of software updates whenever Microsoft bring out a new system are better!

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-12-2003, 08:25 AM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Accepts all cards?! Yeah doesn't everyone wish! The chance of finding one like that is 1 in a million. I don't even think such a model exists. Sony always uses their own proprietory format so I wouldn't go for a sony camera as you can't use the mem card anywhere else (like in an MP3 player for example). Smart Media is the cheapest but is not available in as large capacity as Compact Flash or Secure Digital. Secure Digital is probably the future as it is smaller in dimensions than Compact Flash....so try looking for a camera with Secure Digital or Compact Flash.

...I'll just have a look at that link...
err the site you linked is your other discussion thread...where's the actual camera site?

[ 09-12-2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 09-12-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I have a Kodak that meets most of your specs. Got it from TigerDirect. It's a refurb, but it's been pretty good. It just doesn't take all cards. Just CF. Other than that it sounds like what you are looking for.

You might try going to www.cnet.com. I found them very helpful when, I was looking to purchase a laptop. Currently looking for a digital video camera for the boy's soccer games and my oldest daughter's softball games. I've been researching them there.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
Thoran
Galvatron

I've got a Nikon Coolpix 3100... am VERY happy with it. I bought it thinking it'd be fine for PC imaging, but I've got a Dye Sub printer at work and have printed a number of images (all the way up to 8x11)... and they look excellent! Well... at 8x11 there is some pixellation... but heck it's only 3.2 megapix and cost under $300 bucks (at Walmart, you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere). It's also got a macro mode and lots of ease of use features.

a review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon3100.html

Does it replace my N90? Hell no... but it's super easy to use, small, and holds over 250 images (with a 256 meg compact flash) at full resolution.

As far as memory form factor... SD or CF... either will work fine (and be supported for a long time to come). I think price wise SD may be a tad more, but it's not enough to worry about. I agree to avoid any other proprietary memory designs (you'll get hosed when you buy more).
Old 09-12-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

You might want to check out http://www.dpreview.com for reviews of any camera that you are looking for. Also hit the chat boards over there and you can get some good feedback. I have a Sony DSC-707 and I love it. Make sure with whatever camera you buy that you go to the store and do some test shots. Most digital camera have a "lag" from the time you click the button till the image is saved. You can normally decrease this issue by half way pressing down the button. With some cameras that can still be an issue. Also if you go compact flash the type of compact flash can slow down you saving of pictures. Battery life is also a big deal. either goes with something that uses AA batteries so you can have plenty of rechargeable or find one that has a long battery life. With my Sony this has never been an issue the battery last longer than I shoot in a day even when being a tourist and taking hundreds of pictures.

You might also want to look at a laptop or some other form of storage other than the memory type in the camera. If you go for a week of vacation even two 512 memory cards could easily get full quick and then what do you do? Although the IBM micro drive looks good I would recommend against it. It is a power hog. If you carry around spare batteries then no problem but you will need them.

Granamere
Old 09-12-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
lethoso
Manshoon

try going to www.dirtcheapcameras.com (yes, they are australian)

from what i have seen though, canon powershot series cameras are very good for the price. Don't own one personally, but have seen some nice shots from them. umart.com.au also carries a few of the powershot series i think, maybe a little cheaper than dirtcheapcameras as well

as for accepting all cards, not many do that at all, and it is not necessary.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

The A70 MY dad just baught the A-70 and it is a very good camara alot of cool features and it has all the ones you are looking for except the last one. He then baught a 256 MP card with it and can store 100's of pics on it

Also my wifes dad has the S45 and this camara is even better well it is more money. Maybe over kill for the average point and click guy.

[ 09-12-2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Mack_Attack ]
Old 09-13-2003, 01:57 AM   #9
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Accepts all cards?! Yeah doesn't everyone wish! The chance of finding one like that is 1 in a million. I don't even think such a model exists. Sony always uses their own proprietory format so I wouldn't go for a sony camera as you can't use the mem card anywhere else (like in an MP3 player for example). Smart Media is the cheapest but is not available in as large capacity as Compact Flash or Secure Digital. Secure Digital is probably the future as it is smaller in dimensions than Compact Flash....so try looking for a camera with Secure Digital or Compact Flash.

...I'll just have a look at that link...
err the site you linked is your other discussion thread...where's the actual camera site?
Whoops, sorry about that!

This is the camera site I was meant to link! (click on "Products - Cameras - Digital")

I'm thinking about getting one of the following:

Olympus C-350
Olympus C-220 Zoom

Any comments or suggestions on those cameras? [img]smile.gif[/img] Is it really worth getting a 3.2 MP camera if I'm not a camera enthusiast? I'm leaning slightly towards the C2 Zoom as it is cheaper.

Olympus C2 Zoom - $374 (AUD) $246 (USD) +
128mb SM card - $66 (AUD) $43 (USD)

= $440 (AUD)

Sounds good, as the C-350 is $499 (AUD) without any cards!

BTW

I've seen lots of digi cameras advertising that they can print out A3-A4 sized prints. What about just normal sized photos? How many shots could I fit on a 128mb card, that are just normal sized photos? As I'm going on a holiday shortly, and probably going to take heaps of shots, should I buy a massive storage card? More importantly, can the C220 Zoom even take bigger SM cards?

Just found this on the offical Olympus site (UK):

Number of storable frames with 8 MB SmartMedia card:

5 or more: SHQ 1,600 x 1,200 pixels
16 or more: HQ 1,600 x 1,200 pixels
29 or more: SQ1 1,024 x 768 pixels
49 or more: SQ2 640 x 480 pixels.

BTW (2)

When buying storage cards in general, does it matter if you get a third party one? I've been checking on the net and and have found that an official Olympus SM card will set you back $209 (AUS) while a third party one will only cost $66 (AUS) Whoa!

BTW (3)

What's panorama?

BTW (4)

Thanks Wellard! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-14-2003, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 09-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well the only thing I can say about the 128mb card is that it should be tons of space I am not to sure how many pictures you like to take. But my father in-law only has a 64mb card and he has lots of pics I think up to 70 normal ones. And my dad had the 256 card and he has room for 100's of pics.

But do not forget the great thing about a dig. camara is that if you take a picture and do not like it ie. your buddie has his eyes shut. Just go ahead and delete it.

And there should be no problem getting third party cards. My dad picked his camara up and london drugs and then went to Costco and purchased a 256 card there for only a 100 CAD Dollars. Just bring your camara to a place that has cheap cards and the guy will show you what is going to work for your camara.