Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

Well, the school i used to go to, aka middle school, (grades 6-8 for those who didn't know) is getting ridiculous. I'm in the high school now, but after I heard the changes they made, I was about to go back and scream at the Principal.
Old Disciplinary System
The disciplinary system used to be this:
IF you were caught not doing 3 homeworks in a row, you'd get a demerit, along with if u cut, get into fights, etc.

A demerit was like a bill that you have to work off. If you accumulated three or more, you weren't allowed to go on field trips and participate in certain activities. Demerits could be worked off by spending 30 minutes after school doing school service such as sweeping. BTW, a fight would mean 5 demerits and a week of suspension, followed by 2 weeks of lunch detention.

New Disciplinary System
If you don't do homework 5 times in a row, blah blah blah, you will be put in prohbation or whatever its called. This means, NO school trips, no special activities, no nothing for 3 months. IF you missed a field trip because of prohbation, you spend that day in detention, the whole day. Also, you get 3 weeks of lunch and afterschool detention. And if your in a fight, prohibition on top of 5 day suspension. To top it off, the school will inform the police and you will have that on your police record.

Seriously, there is a lot of troublemakers and such (me being one of em, 6th grade I had a totall of 15 demerits, thats a lot), but this is ridiculous. Last year, when i was in that school, my friend I got 2 days of detention because the idiot teacher (sry for insulting, but I'm still pissed about this) thought we were talking, when really I was just sitting casually, then i hear "John, Andrew, detention tomorrow". Of course impulsive me started yelling at her because i didn't do anything, and she gave me the 2nd detention, along with my friend. Then both of us decided not to go, because why should be punished when we didn't do diddly squat, so 3 days later we get pulled out of math class by the principal and we both got 3 demerits. If that had happened this year, I would have been under that prohbation crap.

But they've really gone to far this time, this is ridiculous. If they think they can enforce good behavior by fear and ridiculous punishments, if anything, it'll increase the amount of troublemakers.

And the whole reason for this comes down to the end of last year, us 8th graders. On the last day of lunch, for like 6 years or so, the 8th graders try to start a food fight, sorta like a celebration. Every year was unsuccsessful except last year. We were able to start one, and it litertally lasted 2 minutes, not even. I'll admit, I threw food. No one got hurt, nothing, there was just chocolate milk on the floor and stuff. But we were responsible about it, as soon as it ended, all of us started cleaning up, the teachers didn't even tell us. 2 minutes after that, the principal goes starts telling everyone to clean up when we did. We finished before the end of the period, all of this occurred in under 45 minutes. 2 days after this event, they hold an assembly, and start telling us how disapointed they are and blah blah blah. Then, they tell us no teacher will go to the 8th grade gradutation because we were immature and had a food fight. They are being just as immature as we were. And personally, I don't the teachers had a say in this. Most of the students agree this little idea was formed by the two Assistant principals, and the principal, mainly one strict uptight Assistant principal.

During the assembly, the students were allowed to speak their mind, I certainly did, and not to brag, but I was seriously the only one who could really speak their mind. I told them how I thought they were being immature, how they were overeacting, how I could understand their disapointment if someone was hurt.

So the bottom line is this school is totally overacting to this event, seriously, this new prohbation thing is just gonna stir up trouble.

Sry for the long post btw.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

i understand completely! when i left public school it was right before the spit hit the fan! a popular item then, safety pins, were outlawed cause it could be used as a weapon. unfortunately antyhing can be a weapon. i'd say no more books or pencils, or pens, we'll all just sit at computers, right?

last big fight nathan and i got into i hit his monitor with his keyboard...ohhh...it's a weapon! they also disallowed in the middle school (public middle school) hair coloring! so no more grean haired punkers

i understand completely the stupidity of it. it seems to happen always to those below us in grades. even my private school did it the year after i graduated. made a change and screwed it all up. good luck that it doesn't spread to highschool!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Hey this is a good place to vent and get it out of your system! [img]smile.gif[/img] Currently I do not think there is much you can do about it. Just be glad you are out of there and that school is behind you. The policy will upset some parrent at some point and they might get it changed. Or someone will quit or move on and it will change then.

Granamere
Old 09-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
IF you missed a field trip because of prohbation, you spend that day in detention, the whole day. Also, you get 3 weeks of lunch and afterschool detention. And if your in a fight, prohibition on top of 5 day suspension. To top it off, the school will inform the police and you will have that on your police record.
So you'd get punished, because you were being punished on the day you were supposed to do something fun. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] . and if you get into a fight its time for jail [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] . seems stupid to me. if they had tried to impose that at my school they would have had a mass hysteria followed by continuos riots.

Quote:
RevRuby wrote:
i'd say no more books or pencils, or pens, we'll all just sit at computers, right?
actualy no! supprisingly at my school kids used to cut open the mouse balls (back when mice had balls). inside would be a super hard ball bearing that was just *loads* of fun to throw at windows.

[ 09-15-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 09-15-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

It seems indeed that Diablo has claimed USA as his realm.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
It seems indeed that Diablo has claimed USA as his realm.
Pretty much. That summarizes this situation perfectly.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Geez, thats bad! I thought my school was getting bad when they started putting in a dress code! No hats (!!!!!!!!!!!!), no shoulders showing, no bellybutton showing, and no underwear showing anytime, including when bending over. I thought this was ridiculous!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #8
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Hey, at our school, any bra-strap showing is an automatic gym-strip offence. This includes spaghetti straps. Cause you know, seeing the top of a bra strap is just such a turn-on!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

True_Moose I have got to ask. What do you mean by "gym-strip offence"? Also what are they trying to do? Go back to the days of women burning their bras? I think we need IQ test for people who get into positions that get to make the rules.

Grannamere
Old 09-15-2003, 10:47 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

You have to change, immediately, into your gym strip. Doesn't matter if the offending strap can be fixed, it's unacceptable. Honestly, I'll be more distracted if they stop wearing bras altogether. Then again, any skirt above the knees at our school is considered inappropriate. Take a good look at businesswomen, see how many of them have skirts below the knees.