Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #41
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hee, I'm watching a rugby match atm.
It's Scotland Vs Ireland. Or maybe the UK Vs UK.

Who's in the green dad? The UK
Who's in the blue dad? The UK
Whassup son, UoK?

LOL, I can see how things get confusing.

P.S. I am a British citizen too. But I'm still an Englishman. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-16-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #42
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hee, I'm watching a rugby match atm.
It's Scotland Vs Ireland. Or maybe the UK Vs UK.

Who's in the green dad? The UK
Who's in the blue dad? The UK
Whassup son, UoK?

LOL, I can see how things get confusing.

P.S. I am a British citizen too. But I'm still an Englishman. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hey I know they are seperate countries but they are also a single country. I guess you can think of them slightly like the individual states in the US? But after all , there is only one prime minister and queen. Also, Ireland is not part of the UK. Only Northern Ireland. Yes I Know you know. Be specific [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #43
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hey I know they are seperate countries but they are also a single country. I guess you can think of them slightly like the individual states in the US? But after all , there is only one prime minister and queen. Also, Ireland is not part of the UK. Only Northern Ireland. Yes I Know you know. Be specific [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Which brings us very nicely back on topic, regarding how our national flags (particularly the English flag imho) is no longer recognised for the country it actually represents.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-16-2003, 11:50 AM   #44
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just a few things but be warned I skimmed the thread, I might repeat a few things already said:

The Union Jack refers to the flag when used on Ships, normally it is the Union Flag.
Also, a correct Union Jack does not have equal thickness in all lines, this was used as a sign in earlier times, if the flag was hung upside down (which only the other Brits would have noticed) you were to retreat.

The Welsh flag is green and white split horizontally, with a red dragon superimposed
The scottish flag is also a cross, but is diagonal white lines on a deep blue background.
The N.I flag is different, but the southern Ireland flag is Green White Orange, the Green representing the Catholics, the Orange representing the Protestans under William of Orange (originating from the Dutch county Orange) and the white is for peace- a lovely symbolic flag.

I think that's enough facts you never expressly needed to know for now.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #45
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Good sum-up, Talthyr. I will add that heraldically, the English flag is known as the Cross of St. George, and the Scottish flag is the Cross of St. Andrew. The Knights Templar, those magically inclined military monks, wore the Cross of St. George.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:37 PM   #46
Donut
Jack Burton

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-16-2003, 12:40 PM   #47
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
*Fails to sum up energy to reply properly and instead reports Donut's sig to the RSPCB*
Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #48
Kaltia
Jack Burton

The Scottish flag
The Welsh flag
Southern Ireland flag
Northern Ireland flag
English flag
Sorry if I'm wrong dudes but this was done in, like, three seconds between tidying my hell-hole bedroom and making my parents a cuppa.

[ 02-16-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #49
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Wow, that Northern Irish one is kinda ... spooky. Maybe I've read that part of LOTR too many times when the Ents go downtown on Isengard and the White Hand is knocked off of its pillar and turned red.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:15 PM   #50
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Where does "Yankee" come from? The term "Limey" is from using citrus fruit to ward off scurvy on long sea journeys. Did you know that?
I think it was after the famous screwdriver. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-16-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]