Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
robo donkey
Manshoon

Do the 3rd edition rules completely revolve around a turn based fighting system?
In Baldur's Gate 2 the system revolves around real time but with every character on its own round determining how many attacks and so on they can make in one round with the player pausing to give commands. This, as I am sure you will know is at the heart of 2nd edition rules but doesn't lend itself to internet play as it would be unfair to pause everyone to issue your commands and without the pausing it is nigh on impossible to controll 6 seperate charaters effectively.

After playing the 3rd edition Pool of Radiance : ruins of myth whatever, I found the strictly turn-based system c**p. I know that a turn-based system lends itself nicely to multiplaying as all players have the time to issue commands and this time is not interfearing with the other players. However, this turn based system is excedingly annoying, confusing when 5 players are attacking simultaneously and detracts from the game's whole experience. If Never-Winter Nights features this I, and thousands like me, will not buy it.

Does anyone have any information on the system that NWN will use?
robo donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

3E rules are TB. They are based on PnP play so they have to be TB. Remember all these D&D games are trying to represent a PnP system on the computer. Its not going to be perfect by any stretch. Also POR2 is not a good example of 3E rules. Its not actually a fully 3E game either. It was origionally 2E like the BG games but was swithced in mid-development to incorporate 3E rules. That along with many team changes(including lead developers), and they early release made POR2 the mess it was. I wouldn't use it as the best example of 3E D&D gaming on the PC.
Gyruss is offline   Reply With Quote