Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 03:28 AM   #1
armakh
Manshoon

I was sick and tired of my games running slowly, so I went and got some more memory. Now I love wiz 8 even more....my machine doesn't lag in Arnika and anywhere else there are a lot of friendly guys. Automap isn't near as slow as I was used to *grin*
Old 06-20-2002, 06:10 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I thought processor ( pentium/amd/celeron ) is what determine the speed of your games?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 07:09 AM   #3
Silpion
Dungeon Master

Yeah, the CPU calculates, but it has to manage a lot information which is stored in the RAM. And if the RAM is filled up, the hard will be used which is very slow compared to the RAM.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
catzenpewters
Manshoon

I'm curious as my computer lags a bit too. What amount of RAM did you go from and to?
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am curious too. I have a K6 450 Mhz computer with velocity4400 graphic card and 256 MB RAM, and Arnika and Trynton still lags alot.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I'm just wondering, can 2 different brand of RAM put together into the same computer?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
Silpion
Dungeon Master

Wizardry can not 'lag' [img]smile.gif[/img]
'Lag' can only appear in multiplayer games, it is an information delay between two or more computers.

Perhaps you mean standing in Arnika, turning around and that what you see doesn't seem to move smooth? Well, that has to do with three things: Graphic card, CPU and RAM. All information like the position of enemies, what they do, all information about your Party and the game you are playing are stored in the RAM (until you save, then it is written to the hard disk). Now it's time for the CPU. It calculates nearly everything and changes the information in the RAM, e.g. when an enemy has noticed you or if you simply walk a step in any direction. From all this, it gives some information to the graphic card. These are information like all coordinates of polygons, all graphics, lightsources etc. The graphic card uses these information to calculate what you should see and puts out a signal to the monitor.

When the game is now too slow, it could depend on the RAM, the CPU or the graphic card. If you have too less RAM, the CPU needs to store some information in the windows swap file on the hard disk which is slower than the RAM. You'll notice a lot of hard disk activity during gameplay if this happens. If your graphic card is too slow, it can't calculate fast enough what you should see and will skip frames, the game will run choppy. Same when you're CPU is too slow. Then the CPU can't give the needed information fast enough to the graphics card.

256 MB RAM should be enough, I wouldn't expect any improvents with more.
CPU and graphic card... it seems that both are too slow. But if you buy a faster CPU, your graphic card will slow out the whole system. And if you buy a new graphic card you won't be able use its full speed because your CPU wouldn't be able to give it the necessary information fast enough. If I were you I wouldn't upgrade parts of this computer. Better save the money and buy a complete new system one day. Wizardry isn't a game in which you have to react in 0.1 seconds. It is still playable. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS1: I have nearly the same problem with my computer
PS2: Sorry for the bad english, I've never had any good marks in english in school Hope you can imagine what I want to say [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #8
Silpion
Dungeon Master

@ Kakero:
It depends on the type of RAM.
You can put together '133 MHz SD-RAM' and '100 MHz SD-RAM' the 133 would then be slowed down to 100 (on most Mainboards I have seen, this may not apply to all).
But you can not put together different types of RAM, like SD-RAM and DDR-RAM. Nearly all mainboards support only one type of RAM.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

i have a fast PC... XP1800+ 512mb ram geforce2pro.
more than enough for wizardry.

but that quantity of ram is essentail for me. ive found my memory usage after a long gaming session to get as high as 415mb!!!
given that 100-128 is taken up with the system & utilities that means wizardry is consuming a whopping 300mb of ram.

one of the most memory hungry games ive come accross!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:42 AM   #10
otter
Elminster

yah, it's been described as having a 'memory leak'--it doesn't clean up after itself. Which is even worse if you have less RAM and it uses the HD a lot, it leaves a big mess.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote