Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

So, my friend's replacing his motherboard...and I've been helping him with it, so that I can get some kind of handle on the process, since I've never done it before---install a new one into a new computer yes, but not install a new one into an old computer.

I'm competent when it comes to physically installing it, just so it's clear

But, I don't really know much about the software/operation side of it. One of my friends claims you just install the motherboard and fire up the computer...gotta say, that's quite wrong, at least in this case, where the computer would not budge at all from the startup RAM-checking screen.

So, what's the next step, and what should I be doing? Anybody know anything about 'em? I'll take whatever you're willing to give!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I hope its not wrong of me to ask whether or not the processor and memory chips you have are certainly compatible with the new m-board...did you take them off the old one or buy new ones for this board?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

We're using the old RAM, graphics card, and modem, as it's all compatible (bought the board with this in mind). The CPU is new, an AMD 64 socket 939 one...

The "old" memory was PC 3200, which is what the new motherboard uses.

No, I check that stuff...that's the physical side of things, which I'm familiar with

Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

If it's just the motherboard you're replacing then you should be able to switch it, install the motherboard software, the HDDs should just boot and all should go well. Although please don't tell me he's running a RAID array?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

No, he's not...

We can't exactly install the software before putting in the motherboard, because doing that would require another motherboard...and they're in short supply...his old one died unexpectedly.

Should I try and plug the hard drive into another computer, then boot up via that computer, load the software, and put it back? Doesn't that cause the same problem?

Old 04-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay... first things first. You've got the motherboard installed in the case. You've plugged in the power cable, the various drive connectors, the CPU, the memory, and anything else relevant (graphics cards, sound cards, etc.).

Right? If not, then don't read any further until we've got that addressed.

If so, then when you power up, what happens?

You should get a POST test and display from the motherboard itself. You should hear the PSU start up, the various fans as well, and stuff should start happening.

So it's getting to the startup screen, if I read correctly, and checks the memory. All normal.

Then what happens? Are there any messages? Does it just hang? If so, what's the last thing displayed?

You may need to reseat the memory and connectors. Just take them out, put them back in, and try to boot again.

The more specific you can be about what you're seeing, the easier it will be to identify what's wrong.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Okay, it boots, runs the POST, beeps once...all good.

Then, it displays the amount of memory the system has, and hangs, while displaying two options at the bottom..."press Del to enter BIOS" and "Press F9 to" some word that's a synonym for 'repair.'

I'd say the full message, but Dan seems to have locked his door...

Pressing the delete key brings up a message about entering the BIOS, which the computer never actually does. It hangs there. Also, if I wait too long to press the delete key, the computer does not respond.

I was thinking I'd have to move a jumper to reset the CMOS settings or something...but reseating the memory also sounds very valid.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The very first computer that I ever had was built for me by a friend and he helped me pick all the pieces out. The mother board that I bought had a bad chip of some kind on it and I thought he said it had to do with the BIOS, and so he made a call, and received the new piece in the mail two weeks later. I saw him start up the PC with the bad chip and I could swear that your problem sounds like what I remember seeing...not getting past the first memory test screen.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

....backwards IDE cable. I'm stupid.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's awful hard these days to put those guys in backwards. The connectors are generally designed to go one way only... so I'm impressed [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glad that fixed it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote