Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

London reports that they have discovered that some people actually have chemical properties that prevents themselves from being preyed upon by blood-hungry mosquitos. When these chemeicals are sprayed on a person known to be attractive to mosquitos, they suddenly become repellant. This new chemical compound is natural and oderless to humans.

What a pot load of money they'll make!!! Here is the report, from CNN.

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British researchers have found chemicals produced by the human body that repel mosquitos, which could lead to a natural, odourless bug spray.

Scientists have long known that some people are more tempting targets for mosquitos than others.

But until now it was not clear whether those who were better protected actually produced a natural repellent of their own, or simply produced fewer of the chemicals that attract the insects, said James Logan of Britain's Rothamsted Research center.

"Other research groups have assumed that people who were unattractive (to mosquitos) might just lack attractive chemicals," he said. "But we've come at it from a different point of view and suggested that they may have chemicals that make them less attractive."

His team tested people to see how likely they were to attract mosquitos, then collected the chemicals the volunteers' bodies give off -- their "liquid body odors," Logan said.

The researchers found certain chemicals were more common in people who were less attractive to the mosquitos. When they sprayed those chemicals on people who normally did attract mosquitos, the insects were no longer interested.

"It basically masks the attractive chemicals. This chemical is telling the mosquito that there's nothing there," he said.

"I'm not saying it's one chemical. We've got several chemicals. It's likely to have something to do with different ratios of chemicals."

Best of all, the natural bug repellent is not detectible by human noses, so it would have no smell.

So far, the team is keeping its recipe secret because it wants to market what could be a new natural bug repellent that has no odour detectible by humans, Logan said.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:29 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I want it!
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:03 AM   #3
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Hey I think I produce that stuff! Partly I think it has to do with personal diet. I was a moquito magnet when I was a little whippersnapper.

I supposed one could also make the argument that as I got older I became very bitter so my blood isn't the joyful treat for mosquitoes that it used to be....

But really, if they could perfect that, camping with the family would be a whole lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

They say that kids who eat their brocolli are immune, due to the chemicals it places within you!!!

Just kidding...but is that not every mother's wish?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hmm, I wondered if I was the only one....
I honestly have not been bitten by a mosquito since I was little, even when they are assulting everyone around me.....
Weird.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Similarly, I seem to produce a natural woman repellent. I wonder if it's marketable?
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Heh, some people BO is good enough to repel anything.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote