Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 06:36 PM   #1
Raif Gwydionson
Dungeon Master

For those with a bit extra time on their hands...

Thinking too much can really mess with your head; and women certainly make you think. So tell me, is it safer to be empty inside and feel no pain, or is it better to continue to grasp for the seemingly unattainable and let it mess with you, just to know that you really can feel?

Its the summer of 2001. Two good friends get together on a hot summer night to share a bottle of rum and some fond memories. These two met in the sixth grade, and the attraction was instantaneous. Once, an akward and thin redheaded girl, and an oblivious-to-the-world dreamer friend who seemed all too average. Now, a dropdead gorgeous beauty on both the outside and inside, the other a cynical misfit goofball with no direction in life. Two decades of living under their belts, and a third of that as good friends.

The July sun had long since buried it's head under the blanket of the West, and cool darkness filled the moist air. Another of a countless number of lonely nights in store, the guy obtains a bottle of Aruba rum from his parents well stocked liquor cabinet. A glass or two later, the boy calls up his old friend who has recently left the life of higher-education for the more glamorous life of a baggage claim girl. So it goes. Upon arrival, the girl shares the glorious tales of airline attendance, while the boy relates his epic stories of academic suspension in a smalltown university. They dance to Setzer and they drink away their troubles, and for a time all is right with the world. Then the damn bursts. Emotion is a flood without the pretense of things left unsaid, and little is held back with the taste of the Carribean burning one's insides...

A physical connection; a revelation from the two. An admission that's been leashed to their insides for many passing years, and one that couldn't be sweeter. A mutual attraction long since buried for fear and poor timing. In the end, few things left unsaid... but physical involvement is now checked, for the girl has a longtime boyfriend. The disheartened but happy lad finally succumbs to rest after 2/3rds of a handle, and the girl goes downstairs to make whole wheat toast.

The months drone past. No returned calls from the girl, and the guy's heart sinks eternal. Finally, without a word spoken, the kid returns to school.

Several more months pass, and the anxiety of being the best man at his brother's upcoming betrothal leaves him flustered, and, on the day before the celebration, without a date. In a last minute ditch effort, the guy calls up his friend (that morning!) and she comes through in a pinch, thought it be an akward one. The wedding ranks among the best of them, and when initial akwardness subsides, the guy and girl admittedly have some of the most fun they've had in years...

And things returned to how they were. Friends keeping in touch, with no word spoken of that seemingly fateful summer night. After the wedding, the girl calls it quits with her mistreating boyfriend, and she corresponds and occasionally visits the now utterly confused guy at school. This goes on for awhile. The boy's head is now a completely jumbled mess, because it seems signals are often crossed when you play the game. Up and down he goes through the foothills of emotion, only to find himself on a circular path. One night, it gets too much... and on the advice of a friend, writes a letter: What is going on? How am i supposed to act? Why is it you treat me so well? Do you feel the way I do?

Responces are a funny thing. Sometimes they are telling, sometimes they serve to hide something deeper. Sometimes they feign sincerity, and sometimes they mislead. Her's demanded patience. Encoded more deeply than any government code yet proclaiming forthcomingness, its served only to confuse the boy...

...and again they talk as if nothing was different. Actions seem about to boil over, and are then muffled.

Strange that one must now sit and wait, allowing no escape from thought, even in traditional escapist exercises.

The story of a boy and a girl, too early to be finished. Is the action still rising, or are we now amidst the denounment of the final chapters?

We'll see.

Maybe I should make some whole-wheat toast.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:31 PM   #2
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Hmmm, well i think it's well writen and a lot of people could relate to it. Well me for one. Damn woman are so complicated!
Well i think if Melusine would reply she would have a lot to say about it. i got a lot of help from her on a story i'm writing. find it to hard to be a critic, cause i'm such a nice guy, with an ego the size of my heart.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.