Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #1
KittyGal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For fighter/mages... (or the equivilant of one) you cant wear armor and cast spells right? But I heard somewhere that you can in Elven chain and plate, is this true? And is it the same for Drow Chain? Or is it all false?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:54 PM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

As far as I know, anything Drow disintegrates when you leave the Underdark. I don't know about casting in Drow though, I have heard that you can cast in Elevem chain. . . ... I think.

Someone else may know more than I.

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-19-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

You can cast in elven chain, and also in elven plate(It isn't in BG2 though.)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:28 PM   #4
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by KittyGal:
For fighter/mages... (or the equivilant of one) you cant wear armor and cast spells right? But I heard somewhere that you can in Elven chain and plate, is this true? And is it the same for Drow Chain? Or is it all false?

Thanks.
All true, except for Drow Plate (although any Drow Chain will), which won't allow you to cast mage spells in them.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 06-19-2001, 08:30 PM   #5
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

It's possible to cast with elven chain as well as Drow armour, which is the best armour in the game.
It's possible to legitimately move Drow stuff into the overworld, but IMHO, it unbalances the game, so I shan't post that method here If the game writers say that it's going to turn to dust in the light, then that's how it shall be.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:32 PM   #6
KittyGal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had drow stuff in the main area, not sure how I managed it.. It eventually blew up (In the final fight with Bodhi...) I think casting Sunray is what broke it...

------------------
Make War not Love, War lasts longer.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:41 PM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Most elven chain mail is made to be able to cast spells while wearing it, but bracers can give you about the same AC in some cases. Only the best of elven chain mail can bypass the protection some good bracers will give.
Drow armor is not suppose to work in the surface world, the game is designed to distroy it when you leave, but with certain glitches you can get it past the rooms that check your inventory. Baldurdash has a patch that will fix this if you want.
There are different ways to get it out of the underdark, it isn't any secret. You really shouldn't have it on the surface, yes it unbalances the game, which is why DROW equiptment is suppose to be superior because you CAN"T take it from underground.
If you have some outside of the Underdark, you can either throw it away if you want to play correctly, or just use it if not.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:18 AM   #8
trux

because magic is so wrapped up in the nature of elves their chainmail allows for spell casting (this includes the drow chain armor,) but i think the best armor in the game for a fighter/mage is the bladesinger + 4. good AC and it doesn't get in the way of spell casting.

------------------
--
trux
Old 06-20-2001, 10:38 AM   #9
Debaser

i agree with trux. i don't think even the best of bracers (i.e. bracers of defense AC 3) could give you an AC as good as the bladesinger armor +4.