Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 12:44 AM   #11
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

The only game that comes close to HL2 is Far Cry, and HL2 kicks Far Cry's ass.

As someone else said, the only thing I didn't like was how short the game was - I would've liked it better if it lasted a bit longer.

Expect an add-on in six months, the ending practically shouts it out.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Sythe
Ra

I had more fun with Halo 2. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
One reason for this is the storyline. I found HL2 storyline a little....cliche. Be part of the resistance and beat back the government bad guys with all the high tech gadgets. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

This is from a person who has played and beaten both games. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 05:25 PM   #13
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Alright, I'me now in the mine. I like the interactivity, but I hate the wandering around needed to do this game. That, and I seem to have puzzle solving problems (like with the car), the Level design is at times excellent, but other times frusterating as hell. I guess I overthink things, which detracts from the experiance.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #14
the mighty stamar

I really enjoyed hl2

However I would agree the plot was terrible.

And it was too short. and the last level was too easy and boring.

But thats the negatives, the positives were it was very exciting and interesting. You do lots of stuff that you never do in a first person shooter.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:13 AM   #15
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
BEST FIRST PERSON SHOOTER EVER! HALF LIFE2 = GODLIKE AS WELL AS COUNTERSTRIKE SOURCE GAME WAS AWESOME FOLLOWED FROM HL1 EXACTALLY, GRAPHICS GODLY, AI GODLY, FUN LEVEL GODLY, ENVIORMENT GODLY. THERFORE GAME = GODLY. They put six years of devolpment into the game how about a lil credit.
I cannot resist but....

Best FPS ever? Nonsense especially since you didn't get a chance to try out HL3 [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Counterstrike is real fun and addictive I admit....

Graphics are great especially the wide outdoor enviroments and faces are spectacular. But there are some things that look a bit....bland.

AI is average I think. They don't perform advanced and sophisticated tactics.

Fun Level...what about when you arrived at a puzzle that really had your brain crankin? So much that you feel that you are back at school.

Enviroment look at my comment of graphics

If the game was truly "godly" everyone would adore it and play it until they starve to death.

Six years I very strongly disagree. Yes Half-Life came about in 1998 but that didn't mean Valve started making Half-Life 2 right away. They must have been busy making expansions such as Opposing Force. And might have waited until a new generation of graphics dawned. And they did. Before 2000 nearly every game had characters with square hands and very poor lip sync if there was any at all.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #16
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Godly is really in the eye of the beholder (nyah nyah nyah), why else would there be so many different religions, faiths and even more believers? Still, like pop-music, we choose based on numbers.

Which means that in a poll of which is THE BEST FPS OF THE YEAR 2004 and you had to choose between Far Cry and HalfLife 2 and like 250.000 ppl voted for HL2 and no one voted for Far Cry, then we just have to apply Dutch Calculus which means that the other 5.999.750.000 ppl who didn't vote, automatically voted for Far Cry.

So: yeey Far Cry!

P.S. if you don't believe me on the Dutch Calculus thingy, read how our constitution of 1801 was accepted
Old 01-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #17
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Nah the game is pretty good but the instalation of it was a pain in the ass!
System Shock II is a way better game the story is perfeckt there! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #18
Sythe
Ra

Well polls are opinions and ontop of that I bet many who vote did not play both FarCry or Half Life 2.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
Riftmaker
Elminster

Guys, the real reason HL2 is honestly one of the best games of all time isn't because of HL2 itself. It's because of all the mods that will be based off of HL2.

CS:S is already out. They're working to release DoD:S, I think TFC2 is somewhere down the line. On top of that, some other mod group is re-writing HL1 with HL2's engine.

Those are just the three most popular mods, there will be many, many more.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #20
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Is it just me or is every PC gaming publication going absolutely nuts over this game? Is there any thing truly revolutionary about this game? The physics engine isn't that inspiring ( it is cool however, especially with the gravity gun), and terribley over used (with puzzles), while the graphics are the only real strong point.
Is there even a decent plot? Not at the beggining, and it sure takes a while to get to the end. The gameplay is tedious, as the guards look, act and fire the same.
The AI in half life 1 at least were advanced for their time, in this game they seem the exact same. The weapons aren't anything special (with the exception of the gravity gun).
The installion is a major pain in the ass, and downright impossible without an online connection.
An 80 % game at most, this isn't the timeless classic it's cranked out to be.
Blasphemy.

Physics engine IS that inspiring, please offer me any other game before the Half-life 2 engine that had code superior to that of Half-life 2, or anywhere close for that matter. It's overused as much as you decide to use it essentially, except in sections where it's simply convinient to use it anyway.

There is a decent plot, you've just played the first part of the game. How are you expected to judge the quality of say a an entire book from the first few chapters? Hardly fair is it?

AI, again the engine is significantly advanced. What do you want them to do, start break-dancing for you?

Weapons. You haven't finished the game yet.

The only con I can suggest with this game, and the one you correctly highlighted is the long and tedious installation process. Unfortunately, that was made neccesary after the hacking scandal back in 2003/4.

But the Positive factors-Perfect Modding potential, Counterstrike, Fantastic enemy model design, interesting vehicle sections, inspired set-pieces, terrific voice-acting, the ultimate linear game experience, perfectly balanced weaponry, visionary freedom within a linear pathed game. This game is all that and the discount bag of potato chips availiable in your local supermarket.

Best.Game.Ever.

And you wait until the good mods come out (waiting for the Day of Defeat mod).
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote