Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Elfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do I get Imoen to backstab? I have her equipped with the "Short sword of backstabbing," I click on the stealth icon but nothing happens other than the message "hide in shadows failed? Is anything else required other than to be behind the target?

[ 11-26-2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Elfin ]
Elfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Hide in shadow's failed..

Well, you need to hide in shadows first, you can try again and as long as you can't be seen by an enemy you should be able to, though it might take a few trys.. when hidden imoen will turn slightly transparent, then all you have to do is move up behind the target and attack.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Feral
Elminster

Keep in mind that Imoen isn't much of a thief (other than traps and lockpicking), so this could take a few (dozen) tries.

ED: I just checked her exact stats - her Hide in Shadows is 25, while her Move Silently is 30 (without enhancements). Not too good. Not too good at all.

[ 11-26-2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]
Old 11-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Use the ring of (or a spell) invisibility.

Don't expect to be very impressed with Imoen's backstabbing.

If you want backstabbing, you want Yoshimo, Jan, or Valygar.

[ 11-26-2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 11-26-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I have to agree. I rarely even use Imoen with a dagger. I'd rather have her behind the party and safe from enemies, so I equip her with a bow (Gensen is a good one actually throughout the game) when I'm not using spell attacks. As time goes by Imoen gets quite a lot of protective spells so she can go in closer and is safe from hits and spells, but by then you'd be better off going in with a maze spell and screw the dagger. [img]smile.gif[/img] But maze is one of a very few spells wherein the mage has to get right in front of the enemy to get the spell going, most she can do from far away. Good spell though when you have a crowd, especially strong, but dumb, ones! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You can use potions to increase her hide in shadows skill temporarily. Or you can use a spell or invisibility potion. Then creep up behind an enemy and attack.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #7
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
If you want backstabbing, you want Yoshimo, Jan, or Valygar.
Or a L21 PC assassin with Crom Faer in the off hand wielding Quietus +4 from the item upgrade mod...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Feral
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
Or a L21 PC assassin with Crom Faer in the off hand wielding Quietus +4 from the item upgrade mod...
... or you could just use Ctrl-Y. Now, that's a sneak attack!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Feral:
quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
... or you could just use Ctrl-Y. Now, that's a sneak attack! [/QUOTE]LOL! -- great reply!

Re: Dace: Of course a protagonist, if built that way, will be the best backstabber. Your guy sounds nasty!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:57 AM   #10
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I was never able to backstab with a thief (Jan). I don't know why, it just didn't work. He always just stabbed them normally... so there was no extra damage or anything.