Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I got my resurrected XP computer back last night. now I have to reinstall all my programs.

PC Cillin had caused me problems before. It caused XP to see a false error. Now, I don't know if they gave me the most recend XP update, which may have this fixed, but I still want to install Norton, so one of the virus programs will have to go.

That said,

1. How do I edit my startup programs? The right way. Do I explore the C: drive and look there?

2. I have heard Norton is not that useful with XP and is reduntant. If this is true, how do I use something to emulate WinDoctor for instance? Any advice on this before I install it?

3. I may install without Norton AV since I hated the update virus def's pop-up which was driving me nvts. If so, is PC Cillin good, does it bug me too, does it require I subscribe, and can it work with Norton's other stuff?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

dang it i was going to tell you how to do it, then i forgot the way I do it is go through search, must faster and less annoying to find it that way
Old 05-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

Re Norton... I use Norton with XP and have no problems, well few. Norton will configure it self for XP so that's not a problem. It's the defrag program that's so blasted slow.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
realbinky
Elminster

XPs disk defragmenter is good enough not to use Norton's, but things like Windoctor are worth it. You can tell Norton AV to not bug you, just as you can tell PC-cillin to or not to bug you. XP uses things called services as often as startup programs. You should have a Startup folder in your All Programs> list, if it isn't in there, it is installed as a service, go to admin tools, services and change the service to manual or disabled OR uninstall (better choice) whatever you want not to tun.
MAtt

PS Did you ever get those XP cds I sent you?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yes, and THANK YOU. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I never could get Norton AV to leave me alone about updating virus definitions. And, the Norton folks confirmed it would always pop up. The best I got was for it to leave me alone for 7 days at a time.

Okay, so that "startup" folder off my start button-->programs is where I can keep PC Cillin from opening on startup? I was thinking so, but it warned me that removing the program from there would not uninstall it. I was also afraid that as a virus protection program it might be written into autoexec or into multiple places. I would surmise it's in win.ini?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
realbinky
Elminster

Nope. XP hardly uses win.ini and system.ini (heck 98 didn't use them) these were replaced by the registry. And there is NO autoexec.bat (well, it might BE there, but it doesn't get used). This is not Windows running on DOS (like 3.1 and even 95/98/ME) it is the direct O/S. Yank it from the startup, if you want to leave it on, but not run. If it still starts, disable the service. If you can't find either, or neither work, uninstall.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
realbinky
Elminster

Oh, and I think the Norton A/V reminder is a separate service. Disable that, and Norton would run, and never complain. Of course, this is from memory, so I could be el-wrongo, so look before leaping. Or, you could update every Monday or Friday first thing. I think I got 30 days out, but once they expired, it ws going to remind you. New viruses are the dangers, so you should update often regardless.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Actually, Realbinky, there are a few reasons I don't want to update.
1. Slow 56K at home.
2. Anything I download goes through this whiz-bang CPU at work first, which is very well protected. I download onto my HDD here, then copy onto a removable drive. So, I am not promiscuous with my home CPU.
3. Norton AV has script protection which will stop most virus scripts before they run. (I think).
Old 05-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

TL go to Control panel, then clickon add remove Programs, then find what you want to get rid off, that easy i swear i do it all the time [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Actually, Realbinky, there are a few reasons I don't want to update.
1. Slow 56K at home.
2. Anything I download goes through this whiz-bang CPU at work first, which is very well protected. I download onto my HDD here, then copy onto a removable drive. So, I am not promiscuous with my home CPU.
3. Norton AV has script protection which will stop most virus scripts before they run. (I think).
TL The NAV script blocker only really affects the Macro-viruses aimed at word and outlook and those MS type apps.

Stormy: Not all programs register with that utility and it is quite common to have things start up behind the scenes and the only way to remove them from the start up is to edit the registry (very risky for non-geeks) TL you can disable them with the msconfig utility, just open a dos window and type msconfig.

[ 05-07-2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]